NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old issues of Water Ski Magazine boat tests

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2022 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Nooooooooo…..
 I didn’t care for the bright green Kermit The Frog color scheme
JQ

WATCH IT FELLA!!!! Wink
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2022 at 12:50pm
Sorry Foot
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2022 at 5:56pm
Mr Quest please check your email LOL

Team Green-      

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2022 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Great story(ies)...
My second Supra was an identical twin to yours...red/white '89. Bought it from a stud slalom skier in Alabama...Rafe Armstrong. His Dad met my Dad in New Mexico to get it back to SF Bay Area. 
It was a fantastic performing boat...but then along came a '95 Nautique...

I love those old magazines.  Great old memories from back when I fell in love with the sport.    

I am sorry to bring your thread back up so late.  I missed it last time.  I met Rafe a few times.  Our University of Mississippi Rebels ski team used his mother and father's private lake in Duck Hill MS.  Their jump ramp is the last one I have been able to ski over.    

The dad that delivered the boat, Ralph, was a top tournament driver.  His mom, Jeffrey is in the Water Ski Hall of Fame.  They were so nice to use college skiers.  Really welcoming to the sport and encouraging.  

In 89 I was offered a job to tow at their summer ski school but came down with the mumps and got pretty sick, and could not go.  One of the big regrets I have because part of the job was to get certified to pull tournaments and taught by a master.  Wish I could go back in time.  

Great memories, though, so thanks for this thread popping back up.  
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2022 at 10:45pm
Nice piece of history Rebel!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2022 at 6:07am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Mr Quest please check your email LOL

Team Green-      

Yep!!!! Touche' Gary LOLLOLLOLLOL
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2022 at 7:48pm
Since this thread just got mentioned in another thread, here it is, back to the top because.............well just because Wink 
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2022 at 8:27am
So the first one I looked at was the '87 and as I was paging down up popped the Test Team intro page. As I scanned through the pictures and bio's who do I see in the middle column, none other than Art Cozier. Clap   
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2022 at 2:52pm

I missed this the first time around, but my father-in-law (whose wooden boat I've been working on) has an '89 Supra comp just like the red and white one from @75 Tique. It's been a nice placeholder while the Shepherd was out of commission. We'll see if he keeps it now that the woody is back in service. 

I also had an '89 Supra, the 21' closed bow ("Bravura") for 11 years. It was a solid boat, lots of nice details. But some weird choices, like, if the windshield had been farther forward it would have made for a much more comfortable observer's seat. The storage in the bow was gigantic. That boat really liked the GT-40 engine upgrade, too. 

First week of ownership: 

Last week of ownership, 11 years later: 

Many good times were had in that boat, and in all those years the only time it needed to be towed was when the (poorly welded) damper plate let go. 
All boats are sinking, it's just a matter of how quickly.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2023 at 5:39am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Times....they be a-changing.  How many boat manufacturers in late 1980’s and early 1990’s made a direct drive “ski” boat.   Now we are down to 3.

JQ

Sanger

Mastercraft

Malibu

I think I'm missing a company Wink

KENO you are correct. Sanger just doesn’t come to mind as I haven’t seen a DD Sanger for many-a-year  Also, Sanger doesn’t seem to care about AWSA stamp of approval as a 3-event boat....but I may have to modify my previous statement to FOUR manufacturers and not just 3.  Kinda sad...

JQ, as of a couple of weeks ago, you might say............"and then there were 3" Confused

And as of just recently, I guess you can once again say there are companies making DD's  Wink

Limited production, you have to order one, pretty powerful engine, pretty reasonable price in comparison to the others, pretty small market it's aimed at

Good for Sanger for supporting the barefoot market (and kinda building a modern hot rod)

You can dig up details on their FB page.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic