Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advise needed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Patsntn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patsntn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advise needed
    Posted: January-20-2021 at 11:43am
Hi, new owner here. I purchased a 92 S N with a 351 pcm and less than 300 hrs.with a CC trailer.
Previous owner ran it with a bad impeller and it got real hot. He said the temp gauge never got over 180 but there was blue smoke (exhaust hoses melting?) Engine turns over but i have not run it yet.
I am going to go through and change the 2 exhaust hoses, impeller, spark plugs and see if i can make it run. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2021 at 6:15pm
Depending on how long it was run 180 won't hurt the engine. Its just an automotive engine they typically run at 195 -205 . Its the rubber and plastic parts you need to look at . I would change the oil if it hasn't been done, Inspect the exhaust  hoses replace if needed. and replace the impeller. Note if there are pieces missing off the impeller you must find them starting at the thermostat. Run it and watch it for proper temp around 160 degrees.
Patsntn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patsntn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2021 at 5:42pm
Got it, thanks
Patsntn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patsntn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2021 at 1:18pm
A few more questions,
This boat came with no info regarding the engine i assume its a 351 w how can i be sure?

I would like to do a complete tune up and possibly a fuel injection kit, can i get this at a regular auto parts store or do yall recommend an online retail/ wholesaler?

I noticed there was no distributer on the front of the engine. There are wires coming out of where it should be going towards the back to what looks like a coil or something?

What are yall running for motor oil? I use Mobil 1 in my other vehicles, was hoping to use the same in the boat.

THANKS!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2021 at 2:05pm
Scott,
Your 351 is equiped with the ProTec ignition system. The typical distributor is replaced with a position sensor and timing is done electronically. The black boxes on the aft end are coil packs. If the engie runs then that's good but, the system does have issues. Many have had to resort to removing it and replacing it with a distributor and traditional coil. The good is it's an easy swap and kits are even available. 

Regarding a tune up, about the only thing you can do is put in a new set of plugs. 

I caution you on oil. Your 351 is an old school flat tappet so it needs old school oil with ZDDP. The ZDDP has been removed in many modern oils. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
1993R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1993R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2021 at 8:20pm
I have the same boat as you and I use Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil and a K/N Filter.
You need to figure out if you have the pro tec still working.
It may not start at all if even if the motor is good.
I have the same hours and mine still works but its going to go eventually.
Motor wise pull your plugs and look at them. They always have a story.
You might handcrank the motor to make sure its spinning free before you do all this work.
Make sure you have good non ethanol gas in it.
Mine runs great and the decal and manual clearly state not to run ethanol
Prime the carb with gas  and let her rip

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 3:54am
Not sure exactly what year the exhaust hoses changed.  In the older boats the exhaust tubes would collapse if run with no water, an inner wall would collapse and shut down your engine to avoid engine damage.  The newer boats no longer have this type hose.  My 90 Malibu had that type as did my brothers 1978 Keaton 460 Jet boat, but it has been discussed on this forum prior that at some point the newer boats stopped using that type exhaust tube.
I hope you are lucky and it shut down your engine.  I have been in a boat when the hoses cooked and collapsed.  The power falls off quickly till it almost kills the engine and it starts stuttering badly.  It sounds like the engine has burned up and died plus you smell the burning exhaust hose and it smells terrible.
Both of the boats mentioned were just fine, no damage other than new exhaust hoses, I hope you are that lucky.
As soon as you look into the hose you will know, if the interior is closed off you are lucky.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 7:01am
If you choose Mobil 1 the 15w50 is the only weight recommended by Mobil for non DI marine engines. 
Lou-Pa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lou-Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 8:56am
Mobil 1, 15W50 is an excellent choice. I have used it for years with no problem
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 10:13am
Scott,
Understand that all Mobile 1 oils do not have the same levels of ZDDP. Mike is correct that the 15W50 does.

Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

If you choose Mobil 1 the 15w50 is the only weight recommended by Mobil for non DI marine engines. 

Lots of other oils out there too. A site search will turn up more than you need to know and plenty of opinions. LOL

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 7:10pm
To late to delete. Sorry. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 7:15pm

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Umm.........I think you're in the wrong thread Pete Wink

Thanks Ken. Yes, I'll delete the post to hopefully reduce any confusion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Patsntn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patsntn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 9:51am
Any idea how many qts of oil? im assuming 6.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Patsntn Patsntn wrote:

Any idea how many qts of oil? im assuming 6.

Closer to 5 with a filter. Add 4, run engine and check the level. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Patsntn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patsntn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 2:51pm
OK while changing the belts the alternator housing broke off so a new alternator is now necessary.
Again, are these marine specific or can i just get one from NAPA?
Also am i correct to assume getting one with more amp output would be best?

Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 3:05pm

OK while changing the belts the alternator housing broke off so a new alternator is now necessary.

Thanks!

Yes, the marine alternator is ignition protected. 

More amps are possible but, depending on the load,  wiring and circuit breakers may need upgrading. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 6:20pm

Thanks!

You could look at one of the alternators in the link below

It's a replacement for what's in your boat whether it's a Mando or a Motorola that you have now

It may not say that it's for a PCM in the title, but if you read far enough in the applications list, it gets mentioned.

It'll bolt right in and wire up easily.

You may have a jumper on the back of yours that's not shown in the link, but you can swap it onto the new one or make one pretty easily.

I'd talk to DB electrical and tell them what you have and they should be able to confirm that's what you need

A picture of yours  from the back and front would be good for comparison purposes.

Unless you're planning on powering all kinds of extra stuff, no more amperage is really needed. Wink

Here's a picture of a Mando that came from a PCM 351 and you can see the jumper bar that goes from the output terminal (with the cutoff orange wire) to the "s" terminal that would have to be swapped over.

The red wire on the one in the link isn't used in the PCM application due to the jumper bar being used instead. The bar provides output voltage to the sensing terminal for the voltage regulator

Patsntn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patsntn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 7:48pm
OK I will take a pic of it tomorrow and try to post it. I was going to upgrade the stereo for sure with an amp or 2 so hopefully the standard replacement should work ?
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2021 at 11:38am
Your one stop shop for PCM parts is either nautiqueparts.com or skidim.com
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic