NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 Engine torque and RPM

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 Engine torque and RPM
    Posted: January-06-2021 at 2:47am
Anyone know where the peak torque is (and associated RPM) on a GT40?  I know the HP is 310@4800RPM.  Just want to know where torque is (a torque curve would be great).

Thanks,

Gordon
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2021 at 9:21pm
I’m pretty sure the peak torque being 375 and the band is wide.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2021 at 12:58am
Thanks.  The lable on my GT40 (MPI) says 310hp and 4800RPM max.  However, I've heard that the WOT range is between 4600 and 5000 (propeller guy).  So I'm assuming that if max HP is 4800, it falls off quickly.  Don't recall off hand but there is also a max continuous cruise RPM that I think is in the 4000-4200 range.  Granted, I'm skiing in the course, so my speeds are 34.2 or 36mhp, and not much over 3800RPM.  But it would be nice to know what the curve is and where the most torque is.  I would like to think it is in the range where I'm skiing (3400-3800rpm).

Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2021 at 8:44am
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

I’m pretty sure the peak torque being 375 and the band is wide.

Here's a link to a 300 HP 351W engine. complete with a dyno graph. (click on alternative views)

I'd call it a good representative  graph showing just what Dave said above.

It's got a higher performance  cam and less efficient heads, but you should get the idea as far as the shape of the curve Wink

DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2021 at 1:43pm
The GT 40 engine is well known for having greater torque than the Excalibur 330 and 343 hp GM based 5.7 L engines. The Excalibur engines run a bit faster on top speed though 1-2 mph. The Excalibur does seem to running more smoothly. I’m happy to ski behind either one though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic