Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 93-97 Nautique resin type and FG fairing questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

93-97 Nautique resin type and FG fairing questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 93-97 Nautique resin type and FG fairing questions
    Posted: January-02-2021 at 2:25am
I’m getting ready to level my floors for SeaDek on my 96 Sport restoration. Does anyone know what type of resin was used in that era? I want to use polyester fairing compound but want to make sure the current floor isn’t epoxy layup which would be problematic. I am gelcoating after fairing so poly is the way to go.
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2021 at 5:57am
Vinylester resin was used.

96, Most likely Ashland AME4000, maybe 5000.

Edit 93 was the beginning of the 5000, but regardless it's vinylester and vinylester and polyester play well together Wink

Link to 93 brochure below

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2021 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Vinylester resin was used.

96, Most likely Ashland AME4000, maybe 5000.

Edit 93 was the beginning of the 5000, but regardless it's vinylester and vinylester and polyester play well together Wink

Link to 93 brochure below

Amazing. Thanks Keno! One more question...any thoughts on premade Poly Fairing Compound VS poly resin and microballoons mixed myself? I want what ever option is easier to sand.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2021 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Canuck-Surfer Canuck-Surfer wrote:

Amazing. Thanks Keno! One more question...any thoughts on premade Poly Fairing Compound VS poly resin and microballoons mixed myself? I want what ever option is easier to sand.

My only thought on your question is that I think somebody with initials like TRB for example could give you a better answer than I could Wink

Plenty of other people too, but that's the first person that popped into my head.

PS..........the resin info is somewhat buried in the brochures, but it's there........  89 till 92 was AME4000.and  93 till ?? AME5000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2021 at 3:07am
Thanks guys. 

Few more questions about the epoxy/poly debate before I start...
1) I want to somewhat level and smooth the floor for the seadek. Local composites store recommended to just use poly resin and micro-balloons to create my own fairing compound. Do you guys think this will bond well to the old floor? I know epoxy bonds better. But since I will gelcoat, they said its better (and cheaper) to just use poly. Since the boat is all synthetic with no wood, I'm cool with the poly route but don't want to have any delamination issues. 

2) Is there any benefit to a premixed poly fairing compound vs mix my own? I want it to be very sandable.

3) I am replacing hatches with coosa board. Do I need to do anything to the coosa before the gelcoat?

4) On the rear hatch, I am laminating 2 pieces of 1/2 inch coosa together. What's the best way to laminate, can I just use poly and clamp or screw it together or do I need mat? Or should I epoxy it together? I'd prefer to keep the supplies simple.

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2021 at 1:47pm
Update...I got most of my questions answered. I ended up buying pre-mix fairing compound (Poly-Fair F26) instead of making my own. 

Remaining question: how much sanding/grinding do I need to do to the old floor before starting to fair? The old matt is showing through pretty pronounced. As long as the old glass is clean, it should form a mechanical bond with all the old mat texture, correct? Or do I have this wrong?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic