NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1997 Ski Nautique fiberglass resin??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2020 at 9:49pm
Very nice!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2020 at 1:40am

Before

After
OK, now that everybody has said what a good job you and the fiberglass guy did, I just have to ask the silly question.Wink

Why did you offset the "world champion ski boat" lettering to the starboard side of the transom?
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2020 at 7:34am
I was wondering which one of you guys would notice.... and we have a winner!! In my defense, I did not take measurements on "World Champion Ski Boat" like I did for "Nautiques (R)" cuz I didn't expect him to remove all of it... OK, lame on my part, right? Yup... I could still see a little bit of the outline of what I was sure was the A in Boat and lined up on that... I still don't know how I could have mistaken it for an A when clearly it was the T. I realized I was offset, but was so sure I was lined up on the A that I proceeded. 

I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken. Ermm

It will bug me, I'll probably order another one...
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2020 at 8:44am
NautiqueParts decals is apparently a bad place for me to be... There are some very cool decals that make me want to go non stock... like this one placed just to the left of my offset "World Champion Ski Boat"....

I know..... FOR SHAME, FOR SHAME!!!

or this one...

or this... problem with this and "since 1925" is they are 6.5" high and would crowd the Nautiques(r). No measurements are listed for AWSA sticker...

or this... but again no size listed..

... not to worry, I ordered the replacement "World Champion Ski Boat".... Cool

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2020 at 8:56am
.......and the AWSA decal...    LOL

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2020 at 9:23am
...gee, do I already have that AWSA decal..... Go pull out Nautique owner's manual.... Nope... but look at these that came with the boat back in '97......

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2020 at 12:34pm
Getting ready to put the straightened tracking fin back on... Considering removing the other 2, resealing and reinstalling... Not sure I need to and don't need to make extra work.... what say the experts???

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2020 at 4:02pm
slid under the boat and looked at the Life Caulk around the other two tracking fins... It looked a little crusty so I pulled them and then resealed and reinstalled all 3.... Prop back on... Foam under transom shaved... getting there slowly...

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2020 at 8:12am
going to attempt to put the ass end into the river today to look for any leaks while the gas tank is out... The bilge pump would run during just a few hours of skiing and it lives on a lift so I suspect I'm getting water from somewhere...

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2020 at 12:56pm
got a few looks launching the boat in December in NH, but nothing we aren't already used to Cool.... found 1 leak where the starboard speedo hose goes thru the hull... easy fix... Not a drop from the rudder or exhaust... Speedo hose dripped in pretty good, made a little puddle in the 5+ minutes it was in the water..... I suspect something else is leaking but I can address that after it's driveable again...

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2021 at 5:18pm
speedo hoses gooped... tank in... 

I've always had to put fuel into this boat SLOWLY or it just comes back at me... I see other references here to this being "normal" and seems to happen to lots of Nautique owners... curious, I blew in the vent hose while I had it disconnected from the tank. Air came out the vent but only if I blew GENTLY... Any force at all would seemingly close the valve and cut off the air to the transom vent fitting.... 

Dumb questions: What's the inline valve in the vent hose for? Rollover?? Sinking?? Should it be so "touchy"?

1964 American Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2021 at 6:44pm
Rick,
The check valve in the vent line is to prevent fuel spillage into the lake. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2021 at 6:57pm
Does it resemble one of these things in the link?

Like Pete said it stops gas from coming out the vent line but under normal conditions it's open and keeping the tank vented.

When filling the tank, it lets air out and if you fill it too much the rising gas level  forces the valve shut.

It also does other things like keep gas from

staining your gelcoat 

turning decals into a gooey mush  

and keeps the EPA happy Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2021 at 10:40am
It doesn't seem to work very well... I don't generally get anything out the vent, but I get plenty out the fill hole even though I try to be very careful and fuel slowly... Hence why I had a "World Champion Ski BOA" for quite a while. All that I can gather would lead me to believe that the surge valve's main function is to close when the tank is near full and shut off the pump handle (either on auto or not).... since we rarely fill the tank and I never leave the nozzle unattended, I am considering removing the valve. If I could fuel up at anything other than SUPER SLOW without spilling that would be a win. Just trying to find the super slow setting on most gas pumps will squirt back at me... Make sense or just plain crazy???

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2021 at 10:50am
Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

Make sense or just plain crazy???

Worth a try 

Plenty of boats don't have that valve.

Also plenty of boats without the valve that fill slow from the gas pump

Only one way to find out 

You launched it not long ago, so it should be child's play to tow it to a gas station at this time of year. Just tell anybody that asks that the river's not frozen so you're headed out for some fun 

With your new decal job, you may have to cover the O,A and the T  Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2021 at 8:39am
Valve is out, seats, panels, etc all back in... pretty much ready for FL except for the new seat skins. We can live with what's there for now if need be...

I plan to bring the old valve with me to FL and test it there... Of course, now I'm second guessing the valve removal.... What happens when I back down a steep ramp with a full tank of fuel? hmmmmmm......

1964 American Skier
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2021 at 9:09am
My favorite look of the 70’s SN are those 3 decals, US flag, awsa, and the CC1925
Makes it look ‘tournament’, like the boat won a prize
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2021 at 6:12am
Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

It doesn't seem to work very well... I don't generally get anything out the vent, but I get plenty out the fill hole even though I try to be very careful and fuel slowly... Hence why I had a "World Champion Ski BOA" for quite a while. All that I can gather would lead me to believe that the surge valve's main function is to close when the tank is near full and shut off the pump handle (either on auto or not).... since we rarely fill the tank and I never leave the nozzle unattended, I am considering removing the valve. If I could fuel up at anything other than SUPER SLOW without spilling that would be a win. Just trying to find the super slow setting on most gas pumps will squirt back at me... Make sense or just plain crazy???

You should compare notes with slmskrs  or maybe any other owners of the same year range of SN below about your "flow issues" and you'll probably find out you all have the same issue at the gas station most likely due to the angle of the fuel hose whether you have the valve in the vent line or not.

Maybe start a new thread about your flow issues so it'll be noticed instead of being buried in a fiberglass resin topic Wink 

You'll probably get lots of agreement on the slow fill at the pump.

Or do a search and you'll find it's a common issue on a lot of boats not just CC and the angled fill most always gets the blame.

Originally posted by slmskrs slmskrs wrote:

I've only filled it once since I installed it (although it is just about empty now).  For whatever really annoying reason, when I'm filling it up (same issue with my '96), I can only slightly squeeze the pump handle because the gas doesn't flow into the tank fast enough and the overflow gizmo in the handle pops off (why the fill hose travels at an angle instead of straight down into the tank is beyond me).  So I'm handholding it the whole time and don't look at the gauge. I pull the carpeted panel in front of the tank and visually watch the level while I fill it.  

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2021 at 8:35am
Probably not affecting fill rate, but it is a good idea to install the vent hose so it doesn't have a dip in the middle.  Tie the middle up so it is the high point.   Otherwise it traps gas.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2021 at 1:00pm
Almost all repaired and made it to FL for some winter skiing!!!

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2021 at 8:32am
So.............have you put gas in the tank yet?

Still have flow issues>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2021 at 8:56am
yup, jury is still out... It spit back at me, but may have allowed a slightly better fill rate. No spillage on the steep ramp w/o the valve in place... 

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2021 at 4:41pm
Some GREAT Florida skiing in the past 2 weeks. SWFL weather never seems to disappoint!

Jury is leaning towards a successful change removing the valve from the vent hose... I fueled up several times with moderate flow rates without any splash back other than that first time... I did have the bottom of the pump handle facing port as I typically try to do....

New Platform on and usable despite the builder not following a FULL SIZE template... See my GoogleReview on Custom Marine Teak in St Pete, before ordering anything from them... Unfortunately, I did not see the vendor listed here before I did business with CTM.

....and yes, I fixed the decal!

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2021 at 8:26pm
One star is good right?

Your cap that covers the joint in the rub rail isn't quite perfectly level, and the screw heads aren't all oriented the same, just thought I'd point that out. 

Had to give you something to fuss over Wink

Platform looks OK to me I think it's better than this one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2021 at 11:48am
My wife called that temp platform "The Bookshelf"...

Another FL teaser pic.... Don't see too many Nautiques at Cabbage Key!

1964 American Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic