NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Gasket

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb Gasket
    Posted: November-06-2020 at 1:23pm
Hey everyone, looking to replace my carb with quick fuel m-600 on my 84SN2001 with 351W. I know the base gasket comes with the carb but looking to replace the gasket at the intake/spacer. Looking to order parts ahead of time. I’m thinking it’s the same gasket as what’s provided with the carb. Thanks

https://www.holley.com/products/gaskets/carburetor_gaskets/parts/54

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/quick_fuel/marine/parts/M-600

photo sharing google

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 1:45pm
Unless you make your own there is no aftermarket gasket that will fit,you are guaranteed an air leak if you use any of the above.  This is what you need -    https://skidim.com/gasket-carburetor-spacer.html 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 2:54pm
Thanks Gary, should I use this gasket under the carb to the spacer or is this gasket only to be used intake to spacer? The one I linked above was provided by holly with pictures of my setup. Thanks again

https://skidim.com/gasket-carburetor-spacer.html
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 3:28pm
You just need it between the spacer and the manifold. The bottom of the spacer since it's hollow causes the trouble- the top is smooth so any gasket works. I'd show you but cannot get any pictures to load.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 6:36pm
I don't think I had to buy any gasket when I got my QF, I think they included with the carb, I have consumed several beverages since then so I could be remembering incorrectly
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 6:42pm
Gasket was provided with my Q F also.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 6:56pm
The PCM gasket has a kick out to the drivers side. This is there to cover up the factory Ford EGR valve passage. A normal gasket will seal the spacer to the intake fine as far as the carb air goes but you’d have a massive exhaust leak.

That gasket isn’t needed if you’re using aftermarket intake manifold.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 8:09pm
Thanks Brian, Jeff and Zach, you guys are correct and one does comes with the carb. I wasn’t sure about the other gasket at the stock intake. Thanks again!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 9:54pm
If you use the original PCM spacer, no matter what manifold it is you need to use their gasket. Still cant get pictures to load, I
select my picture and partway through the process I get this message- 

Persits.Upload.1 error '800a0005'

The system cannot find the file specified.

/forum/functions/functions_upload.asp, line 171

Whats the deal ?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 10:19pm
All good Gary, I use this website to download pics and choose BBCode full linked when doing it from my phone which I’m sure works for desktop.

https://imgbb.com/upload

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2020 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

If you use the original PCM spacer, no matter what manifold it is you need to use their gasket. Still cant get pictures to load, I
select my picture and partway through the process I get this message- 

Whats the deal ?

I'd try to help you out here with some pictures Gary but here's the message I get

Gee, It looks just like the message you get Wink

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2020 at 9:28am
Whew thanks Ken was starting to think it was me....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2020 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Whew thanks Ken was starting to think it was me....

It's obviously just me and you Gary

The rest of the world can do it, but they just don't feel like putting pictures up using the site's method Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2020 at 7:10am
OSB 84

Looking at your picture of the carburetor and spacer it looks like you have the older aluminum spacer that PCM used up till about 85 or so. No kickout on the drivers side, no hole in the manifold seating area down to the exhaust crossover.

Zach is talking about the newer cast iron spacer used on newer manifolds with the open hole down to the exhaust crossover passage in the manifold.

You need to remove the spacer and flip it over and lay whatever gasket you want to use on the bottom of the spacer and you'll know if it will seal or leak.

Many of the gaskets used between the carburetor and spacer will leak if used between the spacer and the engine.

The one Skidim sells will work for sure although it's made for the later application spacer or in other words, it'll work with either spacer between the spacer and the manifold and also work on top of the spacer between the carb and spacer.

Here's a picture of the bottom of an early spacer borrowed from somebody's old post here on CCF.

Just lay your gasket on the spacer and make sure it goes all the way to the outer edges of the spacer, many will just barely reach the inner edge and like Gary said you'll have a vacuum leak

BTW neither spacer was built by PCM, unless PCM cleverly cast in Ford part numbers on each of them.

The aluminum older spacer is C40E-9A589-E 

The cast iron newer one is E4JE-9A589-AA. The E4 means it was first cast in 84 and probably first used on 85 model year Ford automobile engines

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2020 at 7:20am
Another BTW, if you want to save some money, and haven't bought the carburetor yet, you can get a factory refurbished M-600 for about 380 bucks, see the link below.

This was pointed out by Zwoobah a year or so ago and I just had to see what they were like.

I think he bought one.

Looked and worked just like new. 

Thanks Zwoob Wink

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2020 at 2:31pm
Thanks Ken for the additional information as its extremely helpful. I ended up purchasing the gasket from SKIDIM but will verify fit and will be using the gasket provided by Quick Fuel as others have done. Also I believe I could trim the gasket from SKIDIM if necessary to match perfectly.  

Now......how much is a used Holley 4160 carburetor rebuilt 8 years ago going for these days Smile.  

Thanks again to you and everyone else. Going to be a long winter Unhappy
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2020 at 11:23am
This is the spacer with an aftermarket gasket- you can see where the hugh vacuum leak would be

This is with the PCM gasket-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2020 at 12:13pm
Thank you Gary! Extremely helpful with those pics.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2020 at 2:45pm
And here's the spacer that Zach was talking about for comparison to the aluminum one posted earlier.

And here's the manifold (a kinda dirty ugly one) that the steel spacer goes on with the kickout and hole that Zach mentioned. The earlier intake didn't have the oval hole or the kickout and is shaped just like the spacer

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2020 at 5:03pm
So the moral of the story is...........if you're replacing the gasket under the spacer, you need to pay attention and not just throw any old gasket in there Wink
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 3:45pm
Thank Ken

Any thoughts about installing the carb while she’s hibernating during the winter? Not sure if I should wait till spring to fire her up and then swap out the carb. I hate thinking.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by OldSchoolBlue84 OldSchoolBlue84 wrote:

Thank Ken

Any thoughts about installing the carb while she’s hibernating during the winter? Not sure if I should wait till spring to fire her up and then swap out the carb. I hate thinking.

I'd keep it in or on the nightstand right next to the bed for the winter and install it in the spring after you've started it up for the season. Wink
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 4:12pm
I agree....especially when I just finished draining/cleaning the gas tank, installing all new fuel, vent, and filler hoses as well as sending unit. Thank again
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 4:32pm
Just tell your wife it's a normal "guy thing" 

I guess you'll have to rotate it 90 degrees

And..........don't ask what that black strap near the pillow is for 

And whatever you do, don't look under the bed  Wink

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 4:51pm
That’s just awesome! Going to use one of my kids Barbie beds with pillows and blanks 😆
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 5:11pm
I think any interior designer would tell you that it has to balance out. The old one must go on the other nightstand. You can then also admire the engineering and workmanship contrasts as well. FYI-Do not use the old one as an ashtray.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic