NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Fish Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
leetudor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2020 at 7:39pm

How does this prop nut hot garbage work out?  I bet this is not factory setup either.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2020 at 7:51pm
Lee,
It looks like the PO used a prop with it's bore bigger than the shaft? Is the prop at least seated on the shaft taper or loose? How close is the prop hub to the strut? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
leetudor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2020 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Lee,
It looks like the PO used a prop with it's bore bigger than the shaft? Is the prop at least seated on the shaft taper or loose? How close is the prop hub to the strut? 

I am going to pull the prop tomorrow and see what is up.  When I first looked I just noticed how close it was to the strut and not all of the spacers.  The prop is maybe a sheet of paper from the strut.
leetudor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2020 at 10:51am
Well in this politically correct world, this thing was rigged.  Prop must be 1 1/4" hub, as a 1 1/8" prop I had sitting around fits the shaft correctly.  Someone had to make a special keyway to match the shaft and the prop.  They used Teflon tape to take up some of the slack.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2020 at 11:02am
Ugh.
Amazing the effort people make to do things wrong and be proud of it afterward
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2020 at 11:21am
WOW, that's not something you see everyday!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2020 at 6:36pm
It's amazing it stayed on at all.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2020 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

It's amazing it stayed on at all.

I’ll say. Had to been a good vibration. All held together by that cotter pin. Loose a prop at sea and someone stocked the wrong size spare, ok, I get that. But on purpose for daily use??? That’s some thinking there.

In all fairness, it does case me to pause and think a bit at what I did to keep my old cars running as a kid with little or no money;-)
leetudor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2020 at 10:03pm
So I installed the standoff transmission mounted shift cable bracket and routed the cable the new way.  Well have to order a new cable 8 feet shorter now.  The way things are going, I am going to install the cable before I change the throw on the handle side as it could be wrong. 
leetudor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetudor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2020 at 8:22am

Hope to have it running this week!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic