Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 max RPM break-in

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ubugarrity1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubugarrity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 max RPM break-in
    Posted: September-25-2020 at 10:38pm
I have a rebuilt Ford 302 in a 66 Mustang 16. Finally got it in the water today after years restoring it. Looking to find the max RPM and a break-in recommendation. The only thing I know about the engine is it was rebuilt and it's an early 70's Fairlane block. 2bbl Holley. I've found information online but varies too much to be useful to me. Thanks
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2020 at 2:23pm
Break in has a couple parts to it. First, no matter what you do, avoid any high temperature. A new engine makes more heat so be careful always on that front. The boat is raw water cooled so this should not be an issue but do pay attention to heat.
The first start is most important for camshaft break in. If you want advice on this procedure just ask. Don't run the boat without breaking in the cam. 20 minutes minimum at 2,000-2,400 RPM and you will have this done for the life of the engine.
After this process most of your parts are proven to work, oil pressure is good, no oil or water leaks you can run the boat. A boat is the perfect platform for breaking in piston rings.   Accelerate from idle to 4,000 RPM at 3/4 throttle a couple times and your rings will be seated for life. Done. For the next hour engine time run it, vary the RPM many times in this hour, enjoy it. Most engine builders advise not staying at one RPM for any length of time on a new engine. After this one hour break in go use it any way you wish but again, watch the temperature and oil pressure close. If there is any issues they should show up in this time frame. It is always a good idea to change out the break in oil early. In a car they say 1,000 miles. In a boat, I really don't know but maybe 15 hours?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic