NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 Engine Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
agetech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2020 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

First, pressure does not evaporate when the key is shut off.  There is a spec, it will say something like pressure should hold for five minutes and slowly decline over the next 30 minutes.  If you are losing pressure instantly you have a large leak.  Either the pressure regulator is stuck open or your injectors are not closing.  Black smoke on a restart points to injectors.

Mark

I ran the pumps for over a minute and the engine started fine with no black smoke.  I think the injectors are OK.  But the pressure is definitely leaking off somewhere.  I don't know why the pressure doesn't drop to 0 every time.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2020 at 11:23pm
To run the pumps over 3 seconds without the engine running would mean you set up by pass power to the pumps?   They automatically shut off after 3 seconds if the engine is not running.  It is a safety feature on all fuel injected engines.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2020 at 11:31pm
If you have a mechanics stethoscope I would listen to the injectors while the engine is running.  Each injector should be making a very specific snap snap sound as the injector opens and closes while running.  If one is quiet, and your engine still runs strong, one is not closing.  Could be more than one.   Another way to test the pressure regulator is to block off the return line.  Your pressure should go much higher and stay there because it has no place to go.   Be careful how you block it off because the system may see 80 PSI or more blocked and you could create a high pressure gasoline spray gun doing this if your block off blows out.
I have seen guys just clamp off the rubber return hose with a simple clamp.  This can damage the hose so don't clamp too tight.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2020 at 6:39am
Originally posted by agetech agetech wrote:

First, pressure does not evaporate when the key is shut off.  There is a spec, it will say something like pressure should hold for five minutes and slowly decline over the next 30 minutes.  If you are losing pressure instantly you have a large leak.  Either the pressure regulator is stuck open or your injectors are not closing.  Black smoke on a restart points to injectors.

Mark

I ran the pumps for over a minute and the engine started fine with no black smoke.  I think the injectors are OK.  But the pressure is definitely leaking off somewhere.  I don't know why the pressure doesn't drop to 0 every time.

If you figure the injectors are good and the regulator is good, I think maybe you have a check valve internal to the pump that's kinda not working every time and lets the pressure bleed backwards after the pump is off.

What's the fuel pressure when the engine is running? 

You mention 40 psi with the key on, but no mention of pressure when it's idling (should be around 31) or at high speed low vacuum conditions (should be around 40 at full throttle)

Sounds like you never got to high speed because of the impeller problem.

agetech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2020 at 5:42pm
I ran the pumps with the key on and the ground wire at the test connector.   Ran them several times, sometimes fuel pressure would hold.  Never got to test full throttle fuel pressure, engine got hot at dock.  Engine runs strong but I think it has more in it.  
2001Sunsport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2020 at 9:48pm
I just went through this with my 1995 Supra Comp. Fuel pressure would drop to zero immediately after key off. Tough to get any pressure when turning the key and the pumps primed. Replaced the regulator and we're good to go. Sits around 30-35 after key off.
agetech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2020 at 11:36pm
Final update on this engine.  When replacing the impeller I decided to replace the thermostat too, only there wasn't a thermostat there.  The PO or the POO evidently had cooling problems and instead of replacing the impeller the just removed the thermostat.  With the new thermostat and impeller the engine stays rock solid at 160 degrees on the gauge.  
Replaced the Intake Air Temp Sensor after I read in the manual that it would cause a high idle if that sensor was bad.  Tested with an Ohm meter and the sensor was erratic, readings were jumping all over the place.  
Took it to the lake yesterday and I think it is cured, engine sounds really strong and pulls hard.  Got a top speed of 45 on the Airguides and Latnex.  
Now working on the exhaust manifold riser gaskets leaks.  25 year old bolts don't come out very easy.

Just wanted to let everyone who posted with help what the final outcome was!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2020 at 5:42am
I guess the "final update" doesn't include any info about your original question dealing with the loss of 200 rpm between cold and hot unless there's some reading between the lines to be done here Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2020 at 11:45am
Soak those old bolts in a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone.  Pour some on and let it soak in, overnight or longer if you have time.  Re apply a couple times if possible.  ATF = automatic transmission fluid.
If you apply heat and then more of the mix it can draw the lube in deeper.  If you rush they will break normally if they are rusted firm.  Glad you got it running better, I am also curious, what about the lost 200 RPM.
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2020 at 1:36pm

Soak those old bolts in a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone.  Pour some on and let it soak in, overnight or longer if you have time.  Re apply a couple times if possible.  ATF = automatic transmission fluid.
If you apply heat and then more of the mix it can draw the lube in deeper.  If you rush they will break normally if they are rusted firm.  Glad you got it running better, I am also curious, what about the lost 200 RPM.

me2
1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40
agetech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2020 at 6:10pm
Last time out, Tue 3 Nov, 65 degrees air temp, the problem is gone.  It may have something to do with the engine running hot, or the intake air temp sensor.
Got both risers off, 2 broken bolts, took the manifold to a friend  who is a machinist and he welded a nut to the broken bolts and got them out (right side).  Left side has been off before and was packed with RTV silicone.  Also, the water jacket on the exhaust side of the riser is almost completely blocked.  I don't know how the engine cooled at all.  I'll post a picture later.  
agetech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2020 at 7:28pm
I guess I can't post photos.  Or can't figure it out, keep getting error.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2020 at 8:55pm
You can clean up those risers and manifolds pretty quick if you get a rubbermade type of container large enough to hold one. Being careful you can soak them in muratic acid- it will clean the insides of that crud. Keep an eye on them as you do it you don't want them in any longer than necessary. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
agetech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2020 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

You can clean up those risers and manifolds pretty quick if you get a rubbermade type of container large enough to hold one. Being careful you can soak them in muratic acid- it will clean the insides of that crud. Keep an eye on them as you do it you don't want them in any longer than necessary. 

Good to know!
agetech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2020 at 6:28pm
Exhaust manifold is almost completely closed at water outlet.  Hose is collapsed into manifold.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2020 at 10:04pm
Guess someone got their money worth out of those hoses! Riser bolts come out ok?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
agetech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2020 at 10:12pm
Only broke 2, both on the driver side.  Installed with stainless bolts and lots of anti-seize.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic