NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle Cable Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle Cable Adjustment
    Posted: September-21-2020 at 5:08pm

I think my throttle cable has become out of adjustment. Last time out to the lake, I had to rotate the throttle much further to begin to accelerate. 

It goes into gear and stops at the detent in forward and reverse like it should, but then I have to rotate the throttle almost 90 degrees for it to begin to accelerate. 

I have looked in the resources and searched the forum, but can only find information for the MV-2 and carbureted models.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to reset/adjust the throttle linkage?

1997 Air/Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 6:53pm
Trey,
Considering you need to move the throttle as far as you say, I have a feeling something besides just an adjustment is needed. It sounds like it's possible the cable is broken? Also check at the carb and at the helm to see if something has come loose like a bracket.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 8:22pm
IIRC there are threaded brass stops on the cable ends.  Maybe one of them is stripped. 
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 9:59pm
Yikes. I was afraid of that. I’ll take a look and get back to you.

Thanks!
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by TG3 TG3 wrote:

Yikes. I was afraid of that. 

Don't panic you might just have a loose cable clamp like this at the control end-

Or a bad cable end like these- brass ones on the control, ball and socket on the engine side

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 11:08pm
Thanks for the pics. That will help! It’s raining here, but maybe it will break enough to look at tomorrow evening.
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 8:48pm
I did some investigation. All brackets and cable ends at the helm, engine and transmission appear to be tight, not stripped or out of adjustment.

I think the problem may be associated with my perfect pass. It isn’t functional, all the wiring connections are unhooked, have been since I purchased the boat this spring. It’s on my list to fix, but its not a high priority.

Please refer the pics. Each picture is numbered 1 or 2 to show you how the cables at the throttle body and the cable at the perfect pass look at each of the two throttle positions. I hope this make sense.

When in gear at the detent (photos labeled 1) the cable is loose at the perfect pass unit. The throttle cable moves smoothly as soon as you begin moving the throttle lever to position 2. When it reaches position 2, the cable becomes tight at the perfect pass unit and the butterfly in the throttle body begins to open, corresponding to when I feel the acceleration begin.

I believe I messed up something at the perfect pass when I was replacing that water hose to the water pump, directly in front of the perfect pass unit.

What do you guys think? Is there an adjustment on that knob on the perfect pass that would keep the cable tight at idle so it immediately begins to open the butterfly when i move the throttle lever?
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 1:33am
Since your PP is not operational, you should be able to just turn the knob on the solenoid to tighten the cable.  Once it is tight, since the solenoid is not operating, it should stay tight, and the throttle should start moving past the shift indent.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 1:38am
Oh, shift into neutral so the throttle should be at idle, and then tighten the knob on the solenoid.  Turn the knob clockwise until it stops turning/the cable is tight.  Then your throttle will work fine.  
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 8:31am
Originally posted by slmskrs slmskrs wrote:

Since your PP is not operational, you should be able to just turn the knob on the solenoid to tighten the cable.  Once it is tight, since the solenoid is not operating, it should stay tight, and the throttle should start moving past the shift indent.

Ok, thank you! I will make that adjustment.  
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2020 at 9:59pm
Made the adjustment to that perfect pass knob and went to the lake today. All is well and working great again. Thanks everyone for the help!
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2020 at 10:50pm

Made the adjustment to that perfect pass knob and went to the lake today. All is well and working great again. Thanks everyone for the help!

Sending those pictures of your linkage and your PP server made it easy to spot the problem and the easy fix.   If you need any help or suggestions about re-hooking up your perfect pass, let me know. I've spent plenty of time on the two I've had in my two boats plus helped others.   Would be nice if all our Nautique problems were this easy to fix!
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by slmskrs slmskrs wrote:

Sending those pictures of your linkage and your PP server made it easy to spot the problem and the easy fix.   If you need any help or suggestions about re-hooking up your perfect pass, let me know. I've spent plenty of time on the two I've had in my two boats plus helped others.   Would be nice if all our Nautique problems were this easy to fix!

Ok. Will do. It’s on my list to tackle next spring so I’ll contact you then!! Thanks!
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic