NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How open 160 Thermostat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How open 160 Thermostat
    Posted: September-21-2020 at 2:01pm
I've been having problems with my 02 196 Ford GT40 running at 180.  I bought the boat in the spring and the old T-stat was rusted out so I ordered a new one from Nautique parts.  My boat has been running at 180 ever since and most suggested there was an air leak somewhere.  I checked all hoses, etc.. and couldn't really find anything.  Yesterday the impeller burnt up and while removing all the pieces I decided to pull the t-stat and check it.  I dropped it in 160 degree water and it didn't open.  I bumped it to 180 and it barely opened, I then went to 200 and it fully opened.  My question is how much should it have been open at 160?  I've emailed Nautique parts with a pic to see if maybe they screwed up or I just got a bad t-stat.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 4:13pm
Well, that doesn’t sound right.  I tested my 160 t-stat and it opened fully at 165 degrees (based on IR thermometer).  If yours doesn’t fully open until 200 sounds, that gets my Spidey-Sense tingling.  Is your thermometer reading correctly?  If so, you way want to consider a replacement. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 4:36pm
Yes my thermometer is correct. I would post pic but don’t appear to be smart enough!

67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 4:42am
Your IQ must be higher than thermostat number to post pics
We really do not allow any pictures
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 5:15am
Right at the top in the forum general discussion section there's a sticky post by Keith. 

Here's how to post pictures:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 7:32am
I should have been more clear.  I can figure it out on my laptop but my phone (where the pic is) doesn't show the same options for some reason.  The entire line starting with the scissors doesn't exist and I was too lazy to email to myself, save, etc...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Tbarile Tbarile wrote:

I should have been more clear.  I can figure it out on my laptop but my phone (where the pic is) doesn't show the same options for some reason.  The entire line starting with the scissors doesn't exist and I was too lazy to email to myself, save, etc...

Yes, mobile devices are a problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 10:07am
I was joking of course. But my laptop went blue screen last year so I only have phone now. I’m jealous
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 1:58pm
Well I bought a new t-stat and did a side by side test with my old t-stat and it appears that a 160 degree thermostat barely opens at 180.  The old and new t-stat were identical and only opened maybe an 1/8'.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic