Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soft Spot in floor 1989 BFN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft Spot in floor 1989 BFN
    Posted: September-20-2020 at 10:27pm
1989 Barefoot Nautique. I have a soft spot in front of my pylon next to the passenger seat about the size of a paper plate. I have owned boat for couple years and it was there when I bought it. Main Stringers are very solid from bulkhead back to the gas tank. Planning to replace the original black carpet this winter so now would be the time to dig in. And recommendations on getting started. Thoughts were to cut out that section of plywood and take a look. FYI I have owned 3 BFNs (2) 1988 and this 1989. The wake on this boat seems bigger.....Possible wet foam in nose??
Thanks....
Thanks.......Tom
Connelly3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connelly3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 2:41pm
I added an 8” hatch in front of my pylon on my 88 ski and it was pine boards not ply. Also the glass layer over it was delaminated there giving it the impression of a soft spot. I was able to use epoxy and a syringe to inject it through the carpet and under the glass and used large weights to hold it down and it worked great. Also had to reglass the front bulkhead in the bilge where it had cracked around the battery box drain and water got into the foam.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 7:11pm
Thanks.....Yes I knew the soft spot was there when I bought the boat. We hate the Black carpet so being I am replacing carpet I want to fix any floor issues this winter. Thoughts are to pull carpet, Drill 2 inch hole with hole saw around soft spot and check for wet foam. That is not a true inspection because I read that the water goes to the bottom of the hull not top of foam so I gotta get to the floor. Then I will start with removing a section of the plywood and go from there depending on what I find....
Thanks.......Tom
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 7:47pm
If that soft spot is above a foamed cavity and not the bilge, then I can tell you what you’ll find... and it’s not a feel good story. An inspection of the top layer of foam won’t show anything- but if you dig all the way to the bottom you’ll get the true story. I would not break out the hole saw unless you are prepared to deal with what you find. Worst case scenario is pretty likely. A patch repair on the floor is a lot easier.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 8:15pm
Thanks......Boat is in storage so when I get it home planning to replace the carpet and look at my options. Either floor repair or start removing foam. 
Thanks.......Tom
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 8:24pm
You can use a wood dowel to probe to the bottom of the foam.  If it is wet, it will be obvious.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 8:31pm
Great idea......Not starting until mid October so anxious to see. Thx
Thanks.......Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic