Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79’ski nauti possible alternator issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
key1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote key1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79’ski nauti possible alternator issue
    Posted: September-10-2020 at 1:48pm
Boat just sat for a month. Had trickle charger on motor battery and one on 2 radio batteries. Had trouble starting. Very sluggish just on motor battery. Switched over to use both the motor battery and radio batteries for cranking. Finally got it going. Stopped at advance and got new battery for motor. Get to lake and wouldn’t spin starter fast enough to start. So i switched to use all three. Got it started. Took off across the lake. Throwed the anchor and sat maybe an hour. Go to start. Again to sluggish to start. Switched to use all three again and it all was dying. Had to get a jump to get it back to dock. Took it home. Had a guy check for me. Diodes seem to e ok according to him. But alternator was only putting out 12.5. Hes thinking alternator is week. It rang a bell that i believe a few years back i had it rebuilt. My question is does someone have a link to a brand new one ? The alternator advanced had a few years back didnt have 4 wires. Everything ive searched for is 1,2 or 3 wire. Hell ,.... i would even put a high out put in it if i could get 4 wire.
It has new coil and starter last year cause of starting issues. Tired of being jumped off. Any help is MUCH appreciated. Thanks.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by key1977 key1977 wrote:

Had a guy check for me. Diodes seem to e ok according to him. But alternator was only putting out 12.5. Hes thinking alternator is week. .

Was the "guy" from an auto electric shop or just somebody wandering by? Wink

How'd he decide the diodes were good? Or that the alternator was weak?

If your 79 is a PCM 351, and it has the original alternator, it's a Prestolite and like you said it has 4 wires.

You made no mention of a voltage regulator hanging out at the back of the engine.

It would resemble this one in the picture

One doesn't work too good without the other, so if your regulator is bad and your alternator is good, you'll have charging issues

You can still find a regulator to work with the alternator, the alternators are long since out of production but an auto electric shop should be able to help you out

Here's a picture of the back of the same regulator with a part number. This was an aftermarket regulator, the wire colors may be different but it's pretty easy to compare and make sure it's wired right. 

The original had Green, Brown, Black and Orange. This particular aftermarket one Green, Brown, Black and Purple

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 8:10pm

Had trickle charger on motor battery and one on 2 radio batteries.  

Scott,
I suggest getting the batteries load tested. "Trickle" chargers are not designed to be kept on batteries for any length of time. They don't taper the charge down to a point that won't damage a battery. Battery maintainers are a better way to keep batteries up to a charge. Do you have a parasitic problem that drains your battery and the reason for the chargers? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
key1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote key1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 10:32am
I will check style of chargers this weekend. Found a site with regulator. Is there a way to check if bad from home ? I may just order and swap out for new anyways. Shouldnt be to hard right ?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 11:56am

I will check style of chargers this weekend. Found a site with regulator. Is there a way to check if bad from home ? I may just order and swap out for new anyways. Shouldnt be to hard right ?

When you have the engine running, you should have 13.5 to 14 volts or so at the battery terminals measured with a multimeter.

If it's less, like the 12.5 that you mentioned, it's either the alternator or the regulator.

In a little while, if I can scan and attach a couple of pages from a manual, you'll have a test procedure for the alternator and regulator.

Me and scanners don't get along too good, but I'll get there.  Wink

You didn't answer those questions from earlier, so hopefully you have a PCM engine.
key1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote key1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 12:19pm
Sorry. I was having issues replying. Its the 351 ford. 👍🏼
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 12:29pm
2 pages from a PCM manual for testing the alternator and regulator.

key1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote key1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 12:44pm
Thanks !!! 👍🏼
I will have the guy that walked by read up on this. 😉🤣 this weekend.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 12:49pm

Thanks !!! 👍🏼
I will have the guy that walked by read up on this. 😉🤣 this weekend.

A most excellent plan Wink
key1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote key1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 1:04pm
Blurry as heck. If i cant read it i know he wont be able to. Saved to my photos and zoomed in. No chance of reading it this way. 🤷🏻‍♂️Sorry
key1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote key1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 1:57pm
Got a new regulator on the way. Ebay find. No picture was provided. But was correct part number. Would you have part number for alternator??
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 2:40pm

Blurry as heck. If i cant read it i know he wont be able to. Saved to my photos and zoomed in. No chance of reading it this way. 🤷🏻‍♂️Sorry

Send me an e mail and I'll send you a return e mail that should be easier to read........especially if you're on a real computer Wink

keno439@gmail.com
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 2:53pm
The PCM part number for the alternator was RA097002 and it's no longer available.

If you do a search on that number, a lot of places will sell you something newer and different with an internal regulator that takes some wiring changes.

Some take more changes than others, none are too hard though.

PS you have a return e mail

key1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote key1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 10:02am
So far so good with new regulator. Been going out to the shop each day and she fires up. 😎 🤞
key1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote key1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 10:04am
Need to run it on the water to see if heat changes anything. 😬
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic