NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Boat- 1995 Super Sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 5:30pm
That's good to know Pete but I'd rather not find out LOL   Whats your thoughts on using anti seize on those bolts. In PCM's instructions they tell you not to but there must be something to keep them from rusting in. Maybe some sort of non harding thread sealant?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 5:52pm
Gary, Pete—why not use stainless steel bolts? Seems like 316 or 17-4PH would work. If strength is an issue, use hardened steel and apply .0005” of high phosphorus Electroless Nickel plating.

I like anti-seize.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 6:19pm
I don’t see a pic showing whether the bolts broke below flush or not but there are extraction options either way... above flush obviously being easier. It’s usually wise to heat cycle the bolts a few times if they feel like they may break.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2020 at 9:27am
Having the bolts break off flush is just bad luck.
 Every time I had them break on me there was always a 1/2 - 3/4" piece sticking out that I could get a pair of good quality vice grips on. That along with heating the side of the manifold where the bolt is with an acetylene torch and some 50/50 trany-acetone allowing the heat to draw the oil in worked like a charm. 
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2020 at 10:52am
If you can look at his pictures of his broken bolts you can see they broke off right at the top thread. With 20/20 hindsight if I ever have to take mine off I think I'll drill and grind the bolt heads off first
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2020 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Gary S With 20/20 hindsight if I ever have to take mine off I think I'll drill and grind the bolt heads off first[/QUOTE Gary S With 20/20 hindsight if I ever have to take mine off I think I'll drill and grind the bolt heads off first[/QUOTE wrote:

That's a darn good idea, " Gump you're a God Damn Genius" 

&nb

That's a darn good idea, " Gump you're a God Damn Genius" 

I did one side of my Sport but still need to do the other and I think I'm going to do it this way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic