NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 FN help please

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 FN help please
    Posted: September-07-2020 at 7:32pm
Reman Gen 4 454
79 fish natique
first couple of runs since engine install I noticed lifter tick on startup and then it goes away so I didn't run it hard went get it fixed.
Mechanic told me number 1 and number 3 lifters needed to be adjusted..
two weeks ago I run it and I noticed all the lifters start making noise when the engine oil gets to about 210 degrees . Brought it back to boat shop and they again readjusted all the valves

I was using straight 40
They had me switch to 20/40

so I go run it today as soon as the engine oil gets to 210 degrees the lifters start clattering

Oil pressure 25 idle 45 hot.. I also noticed that it runs a little bit different when the lifters are clattering.. if I put the boat in neutral and rev it up I hear a little bit of a pop or backfire..
if I continue to idle as soon as the temperature drops below 200 it quiets up again and runs perfect.. but if I get it back on step and get to 210 there it is again....

I'm lost . Hopefully the great Keno responds . Also a called my tech and he said timing may be too far advanced??
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 6:43am
Hi just the mediocre Keno here Wink

Just as a place to start, I'd be curious how much preload they set after they got to the zero lash position.when doing the adjusting of the valves.

The common range is 1/2 to 1 turn
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 6:59am
I'll have to find that out today .
Can timing too far advanced mimic or cause lifter like noise .. but runs perfect up to the point that oil gets up to temp , only after being on step
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 12:58pm
Technician said zero lash and 1/2 turn ... a local machine shop in Louisiana is telling me timing could be too far advanced and it would make it sound like lifter noise..
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 7:41pm
I think I might just sorta casually ask the technician what would happen if he went to zero lash plus 3/4 of a turn or even a full turn.  Wink

You could back off the timing 3 or 4 degrees to see what happens.

What's your initial and total advance now?

To me lifter noise and pinging, detonation are different noises
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 8:04pm
I agree and I have a video of the noise if I knew how to load it up here I would let you hear it dropping it back off tomorrow for them to check it.. I'm not sure on total advance
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 8:37pm
Just to add a little extra .when oil is hot at 210 and lifters are clattering oil pressure is about 15 to 18 PSI at 500 RPMs. As soon as I raise the idol it's right up to 25 at 1, 000 and higher from there in the normal range.

Fuel pump push rod is in the block still ....

When lifters are flattering the exhaust sounds different almost a little muffled
Not a major difference, but different you can definitely feel something is not right..

Again it def sounds like lifters on both sides

I'm pretty sure base timing is set around 8°

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 9:02pm
Here's a pretty good article in the link that may or may not be of any help to you

Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 9:16pm
Thank you Sir
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic