NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterize pump AF no plugs removed

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 8:08am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Either way I’d be sure that the fuel was of high quality before storing and I’d top it off with fresh in the spring. Fuel quality/freshness has made a much bigger difference than anything else in my boats- with what I now assume was lower quality (lower cost) fuel, stabilizer never helped. I couldn’t get the boats to start if they had sat for 2 weeks (without a shot of fresh down the throat). With what I believe to be better fuel, my boats will start on 2yr old fuel. Both are/were e10.

My 2 cents.

How do you determine quality of fuel?   Could your poor quality fuel be the result of not using stabilizer? Stabilizer doesn't help when you add it in May after sitting all winter...

I don't see what the big deal is about pulling 4 or 5 plugs and a couple of hoses to drain the water.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

How do you determine quality of fuel?   Could your poor quality fuel be the result of not using stabilizer? Stabilizer doesn't help when you add it in May after sitting all winter...

If you’re having consistent fuel trouble then consider the possibility that the source may be the problem. Maybe it’s low quality from the outset and maybe it’s been sitting in their storage tanks too long? Establishing a trusted source of quality fuel may take some time but a little common sense may point you in the right direction.

Oh you mean stabilizer only works on fuel that hasn’t gone bad yet? Who knew?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 5:56pm
Well the thread is aleady jaxed, so here is my rant-

Both myself & neighbor had bad gas this summer.  somehow ended up with so much water in it engine (lawnmowers) wouldn't run.  I only use non-eth for small engines.  I am wondering if the non-eth pump is always non- eth.

My neighbor got stung as his rider was under warranty & he just had them come & pick it up.  They charged him about $500 for the fuel system overhaul.

Never had problems until this summer, just sayin'

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
rwittmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwittmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 9:12pm
I checked the AF that came out of the manifolds (drain plugs) and tested at -12 degrees C. So I took advice from all here and decided to go to my servicing dealer. Well re-winterized it as per CC dealer and now have peace of mind. The dealer also made me a fair price and will be charging me $450 with oil change in the future.

Thanks to all for the logical advice.
Rene Wittmer
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2020 at 5:57am
Originally posted by rwittmer rwittmer wrote:

I checked the AF that came out of the manifolds (drain plugs) and tested at -12 degrees C.
That's only 10 degrees F. I'm glad you went and got the winterizing done correctly. Come spring your may have been very disappointed with that pump through method. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2020 at 7:21am
Well the good news is that you'll sleep on those cold nights.

What kind of antifreeze was this that you tested at -12 degrees C?

RV / marine antifreeze or automotive type stuff?

If it's the RV/marine stuff, the freeze point doesn't tell you much at all, you're more worried about the burst point.

But the real point is that you weren't comfortable and now you are with your same dealer that did it for years with a warranty to go along with it..Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic