NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Run the bilge?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Run the bilge?
    Posted: August-31-2020 at 9:31pm
This is a question regarding proper/normal bilge use. 

This is my first summer with a Nautique or an inboard for that matter (man this reverse thing is a trick to learn!) and I have a question concerning bilge useage. Our previous boat for years was an I/O and we drained it from the plug in the back after each trip to the lake, never had to use the bilge really except the time I forgot to put the plug in.

With our Nautique (1997 Air/Sport) we do the same, except the plug is in the center under them motor. Most of the time there is a little water in there, drains pretty quick. Sometimes, like this week there was a lot of water in there. We had a lot of kids in and out of the boat all day, lots of backwash coming in the back vent when they crashed and I slowed down, etc.

In the back of the boat on the carpet in front of the rear seat i see some greenish looking discoloration that I couldn’t figure out. I’m starting to think that with that much water in the boat the discoloration is nasty bilge water when the water sloshes to the rear under acceleration.

SO, should I be running my bilge the whole time we are out letting it dump that water? I read that my bilges are supposed to be automatic, but I am pretty the rear bilge is shot and the center bilge isn’t “auto” anymore. Center bilge will pump but I am afraid to leave it on.

What method do you guys use your bilges?
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic