Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Box 50 amp fuse??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Box 50 amp fuse??
    Posted: August-22-2020 at 3:28pm
Recently found the 50 amp, inline fuse located in the battery box on my 97 GT-40 was wonky... I removed the fuse and the wire from the battery box and added a new 8ga wire with a new inline fuse to the starter solenoid lug near the ECM directly to the 12.5 and 15 amp circuit breakers on the ECM bracket. This seems to work fine and eliminated the inline fuse from the battery box. Rumors say there was a service bulletin about this.... Any pointers to said bulletin?? 
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2020 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

Recently found the 50 amp, inline fuse located in the battery box on my 97 GT-40 was wonky... I removed the fuse and the wire from the battery box and added a new 8ga wire with a new inline fuse to the starter solenoid lug near the ECM directly to the 12.5 and 15 amp circuit breakers on the ECM bracket. This seems to work fine and eliminated the inline fuse from the battery box. Rumors say there was a service bulletin about this.... Any pointers to said bulletin?? 

Don't know if you'l find a copy of a bulletin here on CCF, but that fuse fix has been around for a long long time.  Wink

Here's a link down below to one of many posts/threads about this fuse  

A search would find a bunch more about this    Google  "Correctcraftfan gt40 50 amp fuse" and you'll get a lot of reading with maybe a bulletin reference buried in one of the threads

link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2020 at 7:24pm
thanks for the pointer to that thread... I searched for "50 amp fuse" but got squat.. My search skills must suck. LOL

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2020 at 7:57pm

thanks for the pointer to that thread... I searched for "50 amp fuse" but got squat.. My search skills must suck. LOL

I got curious and found your thread on PN recently and you mention jumpering between the 12.5 and 15 amp breakers and you were wondering why you had to do that.

You said the engine wouldn't start without the jumper. By that do you mean when you turned the key you got nothing, just silence?

If that's the case and then the jumper let it turn over and start, I think there's a good chance your 60 amp breaker is tripped and you're bypassing it with your jumper. It's a funny confusing route that the power would follow

If you wanted to test this, I'd take the wires off the output of the 60 amp breaker and see if you have battery voltage there on the breaker output. You can't check with the wires attached because the jumper is putting power to the breaker output.

If you do, the breaker is shut and I'm all screwed up  Wink

If you don't then try to reset the breaker and see if you have voltage. If you have voltage then you could put the wire back on the output and get rid of the jumper.

If you don't have voltage after resetting it, then it's new breaker time.

This is from page 6-8 of the 310 or so page gt40 manual.

And                  feel free to tell me I'm all screwed up, but do the breaker check first Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2020 at 7:56am
pretty sure it was "crank but no start". I think the 12.5 is ECM power and the 15 amp is the fuel pumps. I believe the fuel pumps were not running. I ran my own 8ga wire from the starter solenoid's battery lug to the 12.5. I did not reuse the stock wire. I then jumpered from 12.5 Batt to 15 source side and all was well. I will double check the 60.. thanks!

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2020 at 8:02am
BTW: The way I read the wiring diagram in the GT40 manual would not have lead me to believe the 12.5 and the 15 were wired together...

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2020 at 8:33pm

BTW: The way I read the wiring diagram in the GT40 manual would not have lead me to believe the 12.5 and the 15 were wired together...

That's because you're reading it right. They're not hooked together except in your boat now Wink

The way it's wired by your description earlier is working, ( battery side of the 12.5 amp breaker to the source side of the 15 amp breaker)
but it provides a path right around the 60 amp breaker if it trips.

The good news is that the 50 amp fuse you installed in the new ECM power line should blow first if there's an overcurrent  issue that wants to trip the 60 amp breaker.

I guess you could say "it's not right or as built but it works"

I could mark up a drawing with the flowpath of the bypass and post it if you want

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 8:19am
thanks for the clarification. That *really* helps! I will check that 60 amp breaker by removing my 12.5-15 jumper and see if I have power and check for continuity across the breaker. If it is tripped or just not functioning, are replacements available?

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 8:21am
Sounds like a plan Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2020 at 9:45am
finally got around to testing this a bit... I removed the jumper between the 12.5 and the 15 amp CBs and still had power at the 60 amp circuit breaker.,,,  a little (more) baffled now...

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2020 at 11:28am

finally got around to testing this a bit... I removed the jumper between the 12.5 and the 15 amp CBs and still had power at the 60 amp circuit breaker.,,,  a little (more) baffled now...

So does this mean everything is normal and working as it should?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2020 at 11:43am
I'm still not really sure... I had to put the jumper back because I already knew the boat would not run without it. But removing it and testing for power at the 60 amp CB tells me I'm not providing power to the 60 from the 12.5. Without the jumper, I still had power at the 60.

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2020 at 11:59am
Since it's pretty confusing without being there, you have power into and out of the 60 amp breaker?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic