Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rh distributor help

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
redtoybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redtoybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 11:29am
Sorry it took me too long to reply. I gave my '73 Nautique to my son many years ago. He has used his mechanic to work on the boat engine (I think he's good). We have put a new carb, new plugs, and new points in. The mechanic says the distributor rotor cap easiiy turns 360' when holding the gear shaft from turning. Bad shaft?
The boat runs OK to 20-25 mph, but misses badly trying to go faster.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by redtoybox redtoybox wrote:

The mechanic says the distributor rotor cap easiiy turns 360' when holding the gear shaft from turning. Bad shaft?
The boat runs OK to 20-25 mph, but misses badly trying to go faster.
d*ck,
Could be a simple as a sheared pin holding the gear to the shaft? Maybe he could tell you more? If not, I'd certainly get someone else to take a look at it before condeming the distributor. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 11:37pm
d*ck

On your Mallory there's a fork that screws to the advance plate and keeps the points cam in position on the plate. if he's spinning the rotor 360 degrees he's either Hulk Hogan or the fork is loose.Wink

It's hard to visualize and harder to explain.

I could post some pictures tomorrow if you want.

It sounds like he's doing this while the distributor is out of the engine and the movement will have the timing all screwed up if he tries to just randomly position the cam and tighten the fork unless he gets real lucky.

It also sounds like a new coil would be worth trying.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

This is scary, I'm thinking just like Pete, wondering why a new one is needed Wink
Originally posted by redtoybox redtoybox wrote:

. We have put a new carb, 
And I missed the new carb too. Embarrassed Sounds like Hulk Hogan likes to just through parts at a problem?

d*ck,
Seriously, is there someone else that can look at the problem?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
redtoybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redtoybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2020 at 12:40pm
I'm having a problem posting my replies since they are not going through, but I'll try again.
Re the gear being loose from the shaft; that's not a problem. I have convinced myself to get a new distributor,
but having a problem finding the correct one. I went to summitracing.com .  My Mallory is YL 555DV for a 1972 Ford 351W. There seem to be several, including an inexpensive one, Proform Pro-66983B for only $144.99,
 which sounds too cheap. There are others, but don't know what is correct. My Mallory has a gear shaft of .531
and a shaft size about 1 1/2" where it fits into the header.

redtoybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redtoybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 11:23am
Sorry I'm late in replying, but yes, I would appreciate your pictures.
Please send to 865-300-9917
Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 2:57pm
Pictures later today or tomorrow, I'll put them in this thread. Wink
redtoybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redtoybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 3:14pm
OK,but not sure I can get them. I would like to forward them to my son's mechanic who has worked on the engine, so I would appreciate it if you could send them to my wife's phone (865-300-9917).
Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 7:30pm
Hi d*ck

2 pictures and a short explanation texted to your wife's phone  Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 7:53pm

Here are the 2 pictures

Top one shows the fork that holds the cam to prevent it from rotating in the center hole removed and the cam can rotate 360 degrees with some force applied to it.

Second one has the fork in place and tightened down so it won't move in the center hole..............unless you turn it too hard, then it'll move

Hope this helps Wink
redtoybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redtoybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 8:59pm
Than you very much!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic