Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter locating plate bolts missing?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter locating plate bolts missing?
    Posted: June-19-2020 at 7:27pm
I recently noticed that the two bottom bolts on either side of my boat's starter locating plate appear to be missing. The photos below are from the front of the engine facing back.

It appears that the holes on the flywheel housing and the locating plate don't line up perfectly, which is probably why the bolt's weren't installed by whoever last assembled things. The locating plate bends away slightly from the flywheel housing where the bolts are missing creating a small gap between the plate and the flywheel housing.

So: how big a deal are these missing bolts? I assume it makes it more likely that dirt and moisture from the bilge gets to the flywheel/damper plate. But it looks to me like it will involve quite a bit of disassembly to get the locating plate bolted up properly, so if not really necessary I'd ideally avoid going through the process. Maybe a cable tie or two will do the job for now?

Thanks as always for the advice and guidance!
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 7:59pm
Those missing bolts won't really bother anything, plenty of other bolts sandwiching the plate between the engine and the bellhousing.

That's not a sealed or gasketed joint there. It mostly keeps junk from hitting the flywheel, not that you should have much junk in the bilge.

On a car, it keeps road junk like gravel and small animals from getting into the flywheel area   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic