NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2020 at 6:07am

Originally posted by slmskrs slmskrs wrote:

I'd figure out the rotor issue (check with shaft play as mentioned).  See if there is any rubbing/wear indications inside the cap (was the cap seated properly?).

You said the lady you bought it from said 'it' was happening last year.  What is 'it'?  Rotors decimating themselves?  Or just occasional rough running/missing?  If the rotors have been trashing themselves, I would have wanted to get that resolved before buying the boat.  But that's water under the bridge.  Let's figure out the rotor/distributor issue first.

Umm..........I think he's beyond the rotor/distributor issue  Wink

Originally posted by Baileys140 Baileys140 wrote:

update: I got a pertronix flame thrower dist and had it professionally installed. mine is 351w pcm 1995 all stock except for dist. Does this engine come equipped with a raw water pump from the factory and could not changing the impeller cause issues?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2020 at 6:18am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Those are 2 fairly ugly looking impellers too.

Ugly? If you say so, but here's the key:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I had no cooling problems 

You obviously missed the point that your stories don't seem to agree from one post to the next when you get to telling the world how many years you go without doing things like checking impellers, points etc and you seem to forget about the years that your "trailer queen" or maybe "beam queen" never hit the water or got minimal use

You Pete are truly, the "king of preventive maintenance".

Hopefully every new owner that shows up here with questions follows your sterling example of how to take care of his boat Wink
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2020 at 9:39am
Maybe some guys never have guests over. Seems that is when an old impeller shreds, or the cable pivot finally saws on half.... 

I ski, not just boat. I take others skiing and i'm not the exclusive driver, i let others take the helm. 
 last thing i want to tell a driver is to watch that temp gauge. that implies its the most important thing. Especially when my daughter pilots im thankful she has since she was 15. She just would never have been a participating driver if i told her to watch the temp gauge every time i drop in.. just wouldn't. Then gottaski cant ski. not good. 
 I expect a pilot's full focus on the safety of passengers, the craft, the shoreline, the rogue 60 mph pontoon boat that doesn't yield, or occasional lake lice that think its fun to mess up the 6am water.  whatever is left over, goes to my ski experience. I'm not giving that remaining faculty to a temperature gauge to save 30 dollars every other season.

Pete, i see your pump there,  shaft is supported on both ends, i suspect that keeps everything in place with high precision throughout its lifetime.. I've had the dual pumps on a Chrysler apart many times as well, same config.

On a old single circuit Sherwood, when the bearings get a little worn, the shaft torques over from belt tension a little, so on a LH engine this moves the impeller away from the wedge, creating low volume condition even with a fresh impeller, that can be maddening but more a nuisance because its mostly at idle until it gets worse, but very challenging to diagnose...
Conversly, i suspect, on a rh engine  the pump is flipped as you know and the impeller is now mashed toward the wedge more than usual, creating great flow at first,  but as it gets worse this decreases longevity as the vanes see very big deflections and can start to run out of room. So, in some contrast to your axiom,  that is one way i see impellers can shred early, without starting the boat without water applied. 

Also, with the advent of lifts, some boat's pump configurations drain out and start dry every use. this happens
 even when dropped in the water, it starts dry, and eventually doesn't draw. Impellers wear early, when the temp spikes a few times and outing, its going to shred soon. 
this happens to a ski buddy's centurion lapoint with a mercruiser 350 .
the pump drains out every time its lifted.
burns up  1-2  run-dry impellers a season with just daily use.
there is a simple solution of course, but some don't commit to modifying items asap
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2020 at 10:03am
The way the hoses are plummed on a PCM engine never let's the water drain out,there is always residual water there to lubricate the pump on startup.
Do you service your Sherwood pump as they recommend?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Baileys140 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baileys140 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2020 at 10:19am
got my new impeller on the way in the mail tpertoday that will be replaced sat. pertronix coil will be installed tonight. anti siphon valve coming ethier this weekend or next week. the date on my fuel filter water sep that was replaced last night was from 06. Im pretty scared to see what the impeller looks like and i imagine thats causing me probs on the water as it has probs not been replaced on a 25 yo boat (tears rolling) but saturday it will be done. Any body else got ideas for things that NEED to be replaced assuming they havent been in 25 years?
Baileys140 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baileys140 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2020 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Baileys140 Baileys140 wrote:

got my new impeller on the way in the mail tpertoday that will be replaced sat. pertronix coil will be installed tonight. anti siphon valve coming ethier this weekend or next week. the date on my fuel filter water sep that was replaced last night was from 06. Im pretty scared to see what the impeller looks like and i imagine thats causing me probs on the water as it has probs not been replaced on a 25 yo boat (tears rolling) but saturday it will be done. Any body else got ideas for things that NEED to be replaced assuming they havent been in 25 years?
Besides the engine lol
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2020 at 11:07am
Good plan Bailey

Gary enlighten us. you going to keep at it and remove all doubt?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2020 at 11:18am
A simple yes or no would suffice. Since your so into airplanes do you get to pick and choose on what and when you service them ?  
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2020 at 11:24am
the latter it appears

River Rat to Mole
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2020 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

The way the hoses are plummed on a PCM engine never let's the water drain out,there is always residual water there to lubricate the pump on startup.
Do you service your Sherwood pump as they recommend?

Looking at my GT-40 engine, there is a low spot in the raw water hose leading up to the RWP. It looks reasonable that there is some amount of residual water In the hose.  I pull pull my boat out of the water after every ski session as I trailer to/from the lake.  As such I’m glad to see that lubricating water is not far from the RWP on start-up.

As for servicing the Sherwood RWP....well on my old 1994 SNOB, I attempted to do a major rebuild on the pump, but crashed and burned on take-off.  At the time I didn’t have a hydraulic press required to properly disassemble and reassemble the pump and I ended up cracking the pump housing.  That cost me a $400 RWP.  I still have the rebuild kit and may attempt a rebuild on the new SNOB when engine hours indicate a major rebuild is due (based on Sherwood service hour recommendations).  

As the impeller kit is only $25 and 10 minutes to install, this is a periodic service item I do every couple of years.  Overkill?  Perhaps.  I look at it as a modest insurance premium. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2020 at 11:32am
Typical- when you can't support your discussion always resort to name calling 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic