Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'98 Sport Nautique Battery Size

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BDPsix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDPsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '98 Sport Nautique Battery Size
    Posted: June-08-2020 at 2:36pm
I was hoping some one could tell me what size battery fits my '98 Sport Nautique. It has a group size 58 In it now. Was thinking about installing a yellow top Optimum, but they don't make a 58. Also, I couldn't find a top tier 58 at the few places I looked yesterday. I am trying to find one made in the USA.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2020 at 8:06pm
If you click on the link below it's a battery size chart and you can compare what you have to other numbers

I'd start by seeing if a Group 65 starting battery will fit in your battery box using the dimensions in the chart.

It fits in lots of CC battery boxes, maybe it'll fit in yours too    

link
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by BDPsix BDPsix wrote:

Was thinking about installing a yellow top Optimum, .

Brent,
What are you intending to use the yellow top for? Sound equipment? Hopefully not starting the engine since the yellow is a deep cycle battery.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2020 at 10:56pm
A member here suggested Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries a few years back (maybe longer at this point) and I have them in my '98 and another boat. Have been great so far. I don't remember the size offhand, will see if I have it and post later. Inexpensive, good ca and reserve specs.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 12:05am
I consistently get 8+ years out of the Everstart batteries at WalMart. Under $100 and always in stock 3 miles from my home. Excellent return policy as well.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 1:11am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

A member here suggested Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries a few years back (maybe longer at this point) and I have them in my '98 and another boat. Have been great so far. I don't remember the size offhand, will see if I have it and post later. Inexpensive, good ca and reserve specs.

I'm pretty sure I bought a 65N for mine, fit the box with no problem.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 5:34am
Walmart Maxx batteries are made by Johnston Controls who also make Interstate batteries.
Walmart's cheaper version batteries are made by Excide, not as good from my experience.

The 65N fits the Ski Nautiques my Sports battery is in the bow under the seat cushion, I'm not sure a 65 will fit there I can check tomorrow. If it does that's what I would go with.
BDPsix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDPsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brent,
What are you intending to use the yellow top for? Sound equipment? Hopefully not starting the engine since the yellow is a deep cycle battery.

This is from the Optimum site:
The YELLOWTOP high-performance AGM battery is one of the few true dual-purpose automotive batteries available. With premium cranking power and impressive cycling

Sound like a good option for starting and playing the radio while hanging out..
BDPsix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDPsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Walmart Maxx batteries are made by Johnston Controls who also make Interstate batteries.
Walmart's cheaper version batteries are made by Excide, not as good from my experience.

The 65N fits the Ski Nautiques my Sports battery is in the bow under the seat cushion, I'm not sure a 65 will fit there I can check tomorrow. If it does that's what I would go with.

Yes, my ‘98 Sport is under the cushion in the bow. With the group 58 in there, it looks like there is A little too much room left over.
BDPsix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDPsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 9:56pm
Just in case anybody searches this subject in the future, there is a label under the battery box lid That I didn’t see. The label says to use A group 48 or 41 battery.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 10:43pm

Just in case anybody searches this subject in the future, there is a label under the battery box lid That I didn’t see. The label says to use A group 48 or 41 battery.

It says that on lots of the CC covers, but people commonly use a group 65

Here's a link to a recent thread with those numbers on the cover

I guess the choice of size and type is yours

link

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 11:09am
Sorry I was going to check mine but other projects got in the way. I will check today.
BDPsix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDPsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Sorry I was going to check mine but other projects got in the way. I will check today.

I did some measureing and it looks like a group 65 will fit. Thanks Keno!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 2:12pm

Brent,

This is from the Optimum site:
The YELLOWTOP high-performance AGM battery is one of the few true dual-purpose automotive batteries available. With premium cranking power and impressive cycling

Sound like a good option for starting and playing the radio while hanging out..

And this is also from the Optima website:
"REDTOP® batteries
The REDTOP high-performance AGM battery is the ultimate starting battery and is designed to deliver a strong burst of ignition power for a reliable start-up every time. It has high-power delivery and extreme resistance to the most common causes of battery failure."

The yellow is a compromise between starting and deep. If you have a lot of auxiliary equipment drawing power when the engine isn't running, then yes on the yellow.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 4:17pm
I just put one in my sport, yes it will fit you may have to change the battery tray for a cheap aftermarket plastic one.
My Sport came to me second owner with a 24MS and the smaller battery tray.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 4:26pm

The yellow is a compromise between starting and deep. If you have a lot of auxiliary equipment drawing power when the engine isn't running, then yes on the yellow.

I still wouldn't do it. If you plan to draw that much, engine off, for that long, you want dual batteries with an isolation switch. Never stranded that way, and don't have to worry about how long you'd been playing tunes at the sandbar.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I still wouldn't do it. If you plan to draw that much, engine off, for that long, you want dual batteries with an isolation switch. Never stranded that way, and don't have to worry about how long you'd been playing tunes at the sandbar.

David,
Yes, I agree that the absolute best is dual batteries. I also wouldn't be going for the "bling" Optima especially since the rumor is they aren't as good as they were with the original ownership. They are plenty of great AGM batteries out there without the high price.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 5:43pm
I have nothing against Optima's, just don't use them myself, I feel they are, as you say, way overpriced. I do admire them for developing a reputation and following that allows them to price at the top of the market.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic