Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft Tightness

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mocolakebum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mocolakebum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft Tightness
    Posted: April-28-2020 at 3:54pm
Had floors and stringers re done in 84 SN last fall and I guess when they put the motor back in they didn't tighten shaft all the way back dowlike it was (which I understand why). But its dripping more than normal, do I just put it back in water and use 2 pair of channel lock to get it where it is just dripping or is there another trick to it. Thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 4:09pm
Jamie,
The amount of drips you get through the prop shaft gland depends a lot about what type of packing material (the rope packing) is in the gland. First, understand that all packing material needs some water for lubrication hence the drips. Yes, you can tighten the packing nut BUT not very tight. Many time you can tighten it by hand. Loosen the jam nut on the gland and tighten the gland say 1/4 turn. Then drive the boat, check to make sure there's some drips but more important make sure the gland isn't get hot. Warm OK but not hot. What type of packing is in it? Flax of one of the graphite/PTFE blends?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mocolakebum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 4:22pm
I dont know which packing is in it, I know when i had my '65 it was graphite but we just bought this one at the end of summer last year. What little we used it last year it was a nice little drip to it, but since motor was put back in its a constant stream. I'm hoping I can just tighten it but I can repack it if need be.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 4:25pm
Jamie,
I feel it would be a good idea to repack the gland.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mocolakebum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 4:35pm
I know there are 2 different sizes, can u recommend one?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 4:41pm
Chances are high that it uses 1/4" packing but, I'd measure to be sure it's not 3/16".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mocolakebum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 4:42pm
Ok thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by mocolakebum mocolakebum wrote:

I know there are 2 different sizes, can u recommend one?

The stuff is cheap, buy both sizes and you can't go wrong

Plenty of people have had issues with getting the wrong size after they measured or guessed or took somebody else's word for the size.

You can search here on CCF and find both sizes being the "right" size in one person or another's opinion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mocolakebum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 4:57pm
Awesome, thank you all so much
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 7:52pm
You can use a drill bit for a pin gage. 3/16 vs. 1/4

Gore-tex packing is the way to go.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mocolakebum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2020 at 7:55pm
Ok good deal, I appreciate it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic