Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need engine troubleshooting help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need engine troubleshooting help
    Posted: June-06-2004 at 10:27pm
I put my '79 SN in the water for the first time since the engine rebuild this weekend and the results weren't the greatest.

The engine idle'd and rev'd fine in the driveway, but in the water was a different story. I launched the boat and all seemed well, I then went to accelerate and the engine would stall between 1500-2000rpm. I figured out that if you pump the throttle back and forth real fast with small movements you could get the engine to push through the point where it stalled. Once above 2000rpm the engine performed fine. I'm guessing the engine was leaning out and pumping the throttle added fuel by moving the accelerator pump.

After this the engine no longer idle'd smoothly. The idle speed would fluctuate up and down from 650rpm to around 1300rpm, and would eventually die.

I've started to disassemble the carb. and it has a 2.5" Hg Power Valve (which is stock from what I understand) and the main jets are stamped "299", which I can't find in any literature. It looks like the original jets should have been 66's?

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to get this resolved and get skiing asap.

Thanks
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2004 at 2:11am
the 299 jets are the same as 66 jets just stamped different for a certain application in the marine market. check your advance to make sure you are advancing at a dwecent rate. if you need technical advice on the carb call holley or email them, they could help you to find the lean out problem in transiton form low to high speed metering. also check out popular hot rodding they did an artical about fine tuning a holley carb in this months issue.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2004 at 11:54am
I rebuilt the carb and now all is well. The boat is running great! Not sure what the problem was but rebuilding the carb fixed it.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2004 at 12:51pm
Congratulations on your successfull rebuild! What a great feeling! Did your carb kit come with the 2.5" Hg Power Valve? Is that the size you used? I need to rebuild my 4160 and I want to be sure to use the right size. Did you stick with the 66 jets?
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic