Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help: Old Boat New Buy

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
H2O4Fun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2O4Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help: Old Boat New Buy
    Posted: July-10-2016 at 1:41pm
Greetings CCF Members.

We are new ski fans and have purchased a 1988 Martinique BR. It was advertised on CCF.com previously. We KNOW it needs a lot of TLC, but the wife is in love with the Martinique BR series and 'just had to have it'. I am a pontoon and small engine repair man, but this new hobby is all new to me. I am prepared to learn from you all who are willing to take the time replying to this forum. I have uploaded pictures for visual view of my concerns.

THE ENGINE. The engine is a Ford PCM 351W with under 1000 hours. It's dirty, but runs. So far I have new high performance marine distributor with high performance coil, new mechanical fuel pump. new fuel lines to the tank, a new sending unit, and replaced old water separator, and put in a new fuel gauge.

BILGE. We have put the boat in the water once and notice that overnight about 1.5 inches of water settles in the back third of the boat underneath. I am sure we will learn what normal is, but wondering now if that is a concern that I should focus on right now. I intend on putting an automatic bilge pump on it soon.

WOODEN STRINGERS. The seller (twice removed) advertised that the wooden stringers were all replaced but for the life of me, I can't see them. I know we will be replacing the carpet and part of the flooring, because the plywood is soft just behind the engine in front of the bench seat. I am sure we will see the stringers when we remove the carpet and plywood, but haven't made visual on them yet.

THE EXTERIOR. There are chips in the fiberglass in places but overall it is in good condition. I don't know what constitutes 'need to repair' versus 'it's okay to leave alone'. While the advertisement for the sale of the boat said the seats were all 'redone', for some crazy reason, the old plywood was used. It is all completely saturated and rotted. While the engine is first priority, my wife is very interested in replacing all the upholstery.

BENCH SEAT. The most awkward part of the boat is the replaced captain chair and passenger chair with a bench seat. You have to squeeze around the bench seat to get to the back of the boat. We are hoping it wasn't placed to cover something up underneath, but it is a crazy layout and one that will definitely be replaced back to its original design.

THE PROP. I have never worked with a boat with a prop before, but know the one currently on the boat needs replaced or rebuilt. I guess there are 'prop shops' around, but don't know the size of prop for our boat.

MANUALS. If I could find a manual for the engine and for the 1988 Martinique BR so I have a reference for what I need to learn or problem solve.... my birthday is next week and I am sure my wife wouldn't mind this as a birthday present for me. I am old school and need manuals at my fingertips.

Terry&Kathie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 3:19pm
Terry,
Welcome to CCfan and CC ownership.

I'd like to direct you to the FAQ thread in the forum maintenance section. Fantastic links to almost anything you need to know. If you can't find it, ask. The membership here is unbelievable with their knowledge base.

The water you are taking on most likely is from the rudder port and prop shaft packing gland. Both are easily serviced with new packing

You will not see wood directly since it's glassed into the hull. Chances are high that you will find some rot but also most likely the boat is good for several seasons or more. Check your shaft/strut/log/engine alignment (link in FAQ thread for alignment) and then keep an eye on it as it's an indicator of stringers going bad.

Regarding the prop, the size will be stamped on the hub but don't rush into having it rebuilt. The new CNC machined props are by far superior in performance than the old cast hand worked props.

Keep us informed on your progress and we love pictures.

You also may get a better response if you post in other sections of the forum. This section is "Learn how you can contribute to CorrectCraftFan.com".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2016 at 1:04am
Hola, welcome!

To add to Pete's post, check the reference section for manuals.
Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic