Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351W RR Seals

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brentdekeyser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brentdekeyser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351W RR Seals
    Posted: February-24-2016 at 9:02pm
I'm looking for part numbers for the Rear main seal and timing cover seals on a 1984 351W Reverse Rotation. Any help would be appreciated.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2016 at 2:49pm
If it is smooth/polished you can use a automotive rear main seal available at any parts store.
Fel-Pro sells these and they are available at every parts store.
In 1984 Ford switched to a one piece rear main seal mid year.
Yours is either a two piece seal or a one piece full round design.
You need to see it to order a new one.
The one piece part # BS40509 started in July of 1983
The Two piece part # is BS40042
The TIming cover seal comes in a set: TCS 45450
These are Fel-Pro part numbers.
There is a listed PTFE Teflon part listed for the one piece rear seal but you can't use it. It wont work with reverse rotation engines.. These are a better design but they are threaded for standard rotation only. BS40645

If your surface is not smooth/polished you might need to clean it up with emery cloth or invest in a Spedi Sleeve to cover with a new surface.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2016 at 12:45am
Two piece seal, crank has wick lines, seal has none. $14 auto seal will work. The "marine" version for $76.52 has the same ford number on it.

One piece seal has the wick lines and the crank is smooth, no wick lines. You have to use the marine seal because the wick lines are opposite direction. If you put an auto one piece seal in, it will pull oil out into the bilge.

http://www.skidim.com/REAR-MAIN-SEAL-RH-351-1PC/productinfo/MAL9-61626/

http://www.skidim.com/SEAL-FRONT-COVER-RH-302_351/productinfo/R047044/
Tim D
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2016 at 5:55am
I think the Wick lines you refer to are the Helix lines on the crankshaft, looks like \\\\\\\\\ all the way around the crank. Designed to direct oil back into the oil pan.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2016 at 10:48am
I thought a helix was a line in a spiral, you know like double helix aka dna
Tim D
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2016 at 3:22pm
I have not idea where the name came from but Crank Shaft grinders refer to that type crankshaft as with Helix or without. Without is just a polished crank face like all the other journals.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2016 at 3:34pm
Mark,
Looks like you are using the proper terminology.

Per Fel-Pro, they use "helix"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2016 at 3:38pm
Thanks, I had heard the term so many times I accepted it as fact. Never looked it up.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2016 at 11:21am
Pete, looks like Fel-pro is calling the protruding rib on the seal, a single or a double rib a helix, no reference to any parallel lines. Any way, I'm going to keep using "wick lines".
Tim D
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 12:37am
Mallory has a reverse rotation seal as well.
Works good lot cheaper than the other one
Lakedog55
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I think the Wick lines you refer to are the Helix lines on the crankshaft, looks like \\\\\\\\\ all the way around the crank. Designed to direct oil back into the oil pan.

This crank is a RR 302 circa 1978
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2016 at 10:57pm
i had to deal with this earlier with my rebuild. my crank was smooth so had to find one piece seal for 351 Reverse Rotation.   Found a source that supplies engine builders. if needed i can dig it out of my receipts.   Some place out of CA.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2016 at 10:58pm
ok found it

Alex's Parts.   google it and you will find what you need
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2020 at 3:24pm

If it is smooth/polished you can use a automotive rear main seal available at any parts store.
Fel-Pro sells these and they are available at every parts store.
In 1984 Ford switched to a one piece rear main seal mid year.
Yours is either a two piece seal or a one piece full round design.
You need to see it to order a new one.
The one piece part # BS40509 started in July of 1983
The Two piece part # is BS40042
These are Fel-Pro part numbers.
There is a listed PTFE Teflon part listed for the one piece rear seal but you can't use it. It wont work with reverse rotation engines.. These are a better design but they are threaded for standard rotation only. BS40645

If your surface is not smooth/polished you might need to clean it up with emery cloth or invest in a Spedi Sleeve to cover with a new surface.

I'm going to have to pull off my timing cover, and want to make sure I order the right gasket/seal kit. Does TCS 45450 include the reverse rotation seal? Summit Racing has a higher price for just the seal (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-17795) than for the kit (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-tcs45450) which doesn't seem to make sense?
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 4:29pm

Summit tells me I will have to buy the separate seal for my reverse rotation engine: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-TCS45450 .

Are they just trying to upsell, or will I really have to buy it?
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 5:29pm
If the seal has directional wick lines you might want the special Summit seal.
I don’t recall any front seal leak issues with a standard seal on the timing cover,, maybe someone Can offer first hand experience.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2020 at 6:42am
The seal that came with the TCS45450 kit does appear to have directional wick lines - see below. So I guess I'll have to get the special reverse rotation seal?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2020 at 5:33am
Originally posted by Wilhelm Hertzog Wilhelm Hertzog wrote:

The seal that came with the TCS45450 kit does appear to have directional wick lines - see below. So I guess I'll have to get the special reverse rotation seal?

That would be the best solution Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2020 at 9:33am
Following this link from Fel-Pro's site to this page shows an image of a seal with a part number CR18562 printed on it. This seems to be a SKF part number: link. And appears to cross-reference to this National part. Can anyone perhaps confirm that these three seals (Fel-Pro 17795, SKF CR18562, National 224570) are all interchangeable?

The Fel-Pro seal is going to cost me a fortune to get hold of in South Africa, so I'm trying to see if there is a more affordable seal out there that will do the job..
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2020 at 11:58am
 link.  to SKF seal

The seal in your link above has the right dimensions, don't know about direction of wick lines or if maybe it's a smooth seal with no wick lines.

If it's smooth, I'd give it a whirl Wink

I think the national seal you linked has slightly different dimensions.

Felpro doesn't make their seals, National does. That's why you find a National part number on Felpro seals.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2020 at 12:59pm
 Heck,  I even remember a guy that sanded the direction lines off of a seal one time!!!LOL
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2020 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Heck,  I even remember a guy that sanded the direction lines off of a seal one time!!!LOL

Seriously? If that will work I'm going to give it a shot...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2020 at 3:09pm

Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Seriously? If that will work I'm going to give it a shot...

I remember that guy too...............it was meWink

I daintily sanded the wick marks off a normal rotation rear main seal for a 302 to turn it into a smooth seal

Your next question will probably be , did it work? and my answer will be "I don't know"

It was shipped off to "Chucky" here on CCF and I don't know if he used it, but I do know he hasn't finished the boat yet.

It's one of those try at your own risk type of things, but being a front seal on an engine tilted back about 15 degrees, if the seal in your link isn't smooth, I'd sure as hell give it a shot on the seal that came in your kit. 

Once upon a time there were pictures in Chucky's thread.....but they're gone with the CCF hack job.

It's a bit of tedious sanding and you just want to get rid of the wick lines without affecting the very tip of the lip.

It think it was 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper that I used.

We'll just say "Good luck Mr Hertzog" and give it hell Wink

The worst it can do is leak.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2020 at 2:07am
So I managed to get hold of the SKF CR18562 seal for a very reasonable price. While the key dimensions do match (as Ken pointed out), the seal certainly looks very different than the one that came with the TCS45450 kit. Will it work nonetheless? Ken?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2020 at 7:36am
The SKF seal is  just the newer style seal.

It'll work, just install it with the flat side out and the spring loaded lip on the inside.

The flat outer side should be flush with the timing cover.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2020 at 9:51am
Great, thanks Ken.

P.S. I did click the 'Thanks' button for your post, but have been advised by Keith that a separate 'Thank you' post is not a bad idea when it comes to thanking people for their inputs. Not sure what the general forum views are around this, but I figured rather be safe than sorry in this case.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2020 at 5:57am

Great, thanks Ken.

P.S. I did click the 'Thanks' button for your post, but have been advised by Keith that a separate 'Thank you' post is not a bad idea when it comes to thanking people for their inputs. Not sure what the general forum views are around this, but I figured rather be safe than sorry in this case.

Thanks for the thanks. Wink

By the way, the new style seal is a lot easier to replace on the engine than the older one.

Mostly it's easier to remove, than the flanged older style.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2021 at 9:02am
Just to wrap this thread (or at least my discussions in the thread) up: I did install the SKF CR18562 seal (I also fitted a speedi sleeve to the harmonic balancer), and it's been working fine - no signs of leaking so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic