Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

(Inspection)Torrance CA 2/6. 87 Correct Craft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
CORYM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (Inspection)Torrance CA 2/6. 87 Correct Craft
    Posted: February-04-2016 at 3:14pm
Hello, new member to the forum. I am looking at a 1987 Correct Craft 2001 . Photos look decent however, this might not tell the full story. Single axle trailer. I wont be able to test on the water. Plan on doing Fake-a-lake test. Reading up on the Correct Craft I read that Up until 1993, Correct Craft used wood stringers in their construction.

Water will make its way under the floor and starts to saturate the foam and wood stringers and rot them, compromising structural integrity, weight, and safety.

What is the best way to access the stringer and floor health? One suggestion was doing a wrench test on the motor mounts. What else can be done?

I know hrs gauge and fuel gauge are not working . Interior looks to have 1-2 seasons left in it.

Would be driving about 7 hours to look at the boat so I want to get the best Idea before making the trip.

Priced in the $3500 range.

Thank you in advance!

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 3:37pm
You need to remove the rear seat and the lift out floor section. The boats have a tendency to crack/delaminate where the floor meets the top of the secondary stringer (where the lift out floor section touches).

They also tend to crack/rot at the front of the exhaust wells where the secondary stringer is tied to the main stringer. If this area has some cracking that is fairly normal..

There is a thread on how to do stringer tests. It is visual, also uses the wrench test on the top bolts and side thru bolts on the engine cradle. Also important to take a small metal hammer and tap around all of the areas in question to listen for a (Dead or hollow sound) which would point towards delamination and rot being behind the areas where the sound isn't so solid.

Make sure it goes in and out of gear (wet the strut bearing with a hose first). This won't ensure 100% proper trans operation but it will let you know it's probably ok if he says it is. Also leaves the variable of a bent shaft or propeller that needs rebuilt,

The engine should start up nicely without to much pumping and idle well. Also it needs to rev really cleanly and crisply while in neutral.

3500 is pretty cheap for a 2001 so it is probably going to have some issues.

If the main stringers seem solid and the floor isn't to soft it will get you by for quite a few years even if it has some signs of delam or stringer rot. You have to remember, if it has some rot for 3000 bucks if you are able to run it for 5 years that's only costing you 600 bucks a year. You will spend more than that on maintenance and fuel.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 4:40pm
Cory,
I'd like to welcome you to CCfan and add to Zach's excellent suggestions. Checking the engine to prop shaft can often give an indication of stringer condition.
Good luck with the purchase and if you do end up getting it, make sure you post some pictures. Keep the CCfan membership in mind with all the knowledge for any questions that may come up. You may have already found it but there's a FAQ thread in the forum maintenance section with links to just about anything you may need to know.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CORYM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

You need to remove the rear seat and the lift out floor section. The boats have a tendency to crack/delaminate where the floor meets the top of the secondary stringer (where the lift out floor section touches).

They also tend to crack/rot at the front of the exhaust wells where the secondary stringer is tied to the main stringer. If this area has some cracking that is fairly normal..

There is a thread on how to do stringer tests. It is visual, also uses the wrench test on the top bolts and side thru bolts on the engine cradle. Also important to take a small metal hammer and tap around all of the areas in question to listen for a (Dead or hollow sound) which would point towards delamination and rot being behind the areas where the sound isn't so solid.

Make sure it goes in and out of gear (wet the strut bearing with a hose first). This won't ensure 100% proper trans operation but it will let you know it's probably ok if he says it is. Also leaves the variable of a bent shaft or propeller that needs rebuilt,

The engine should start up nicely without to much pumping and idle well. Also it needs to rev really cleanly and crisply while in neutral.

3500 is pretty cheap for a 2001 so it is probably going to have some issues.

If the main stringers seem solid and the floor isn't to soft it will get you by for quite a few years even if it has some signs of delam or stringer rot. You have to remember, if it has some rot for 3000 bucks if you are able to run it for 5 years that's only costing you 600 bucks a year. You will spend more than that on maintenance and fuel.

Thank you I did come across this pre-inspection list also,

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18605&title=new-guy-here
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 5:06pm
Good luck, If it runs/isn't completely rotten/looks pretty good/has a usable interior you really cant go wrong for that price range.

If its a bit rough and its your first rig just use the hell out of it and make memories until you have enough cash to really buy a perfect boat. You will learn on the not so nice one so things you hurt won't matter as much to you.
CORYM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Good luck, If it runs/isn't completely rotten/looks pretty good/has a usable interior you really cant go wrong for that price range.

If its a bit rough and its your first rig just use the hell out of it and make memories until you have enough cash to really buy a perfect boat. You will learn on the not so nice one so things you hurt won't matter as much to you.

That's the situation I am in. I wanted to be under $6-$7k and there are some really nice boats in AZ / CA in that range. Looking between; correct craft, centurion, supra, and malibu. I've been out on friends boats last few years and decided it was time to get into it myself. I would rather buy something less expensive , get a feel for everything on my own, see how often I go out, and then look to upgrade boats in a few years.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 5:30pm
Look at something more expensive and make a lower offer. If you aren't 100% sure of your mechanical skill your money would be much better spent on a nicer boat every time.

But, if all the big parts of this boat check out it might be just perfect for you.

Project boats never ever make financial sense but most of your guys here are very talented mechanics/crafstman and enjoy the challenge of bringing an old abused beauty back to its former glory.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 6:59pm
Good luck with it. Good advice above.
Try and get something you can use right away and tweek along the way. Im betting you get hooked and move up as circumstances permit! Our family has had awesome times on ours, and believe it or not even when the occasional "mechanical challenge" rears its ugly head. (Not very often and usually a much better memory AFTER its over!) Welcome.
Pictures!
Js
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 8:46pm
Cory,
We have had members help out with looking at boats for potential buyers. Maybe if you post more details on where the boat is you are looking at, someone will be willing to help?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CORYM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Cory,
We have had members help out with looking at boats for potential buyers. Maybe if you post more details on where the boat is you are looking at, someone will be willing to help?

Great idea, if any members are located in the Los Angeles area (Torrance) and would like to check the boat out with me, I am headed out early Saturday morning. I'll buy breakfast or provided gas money for your time!
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2016 at 11:47pm
Cory,

I'm excited for you....but don't let the pressure of the moment force your hand. Unless you're sure you'll be able to get this thing going...and be sure to use the inspection checklist as you go--do,as Zach suggests and go for the better, slightly faded, better kept boats and negotiate a lower price.. Parts are not really all that expensive, but it's very easy to suddenly notice you're $2000 poorer because you bought a "better deal"

I'm hoping whether you buy it or not, that you wind up with a Correct Craft and join this group of great guys and gals (well, it's mostly guys I think.....but lots of girls hang around Correct Crafts). If I were out there, I'd take you up on breakfast and bring my flashlight, little hammer, and get into that thing to see what's right and wrong.

Good luck....keep us posted
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2016 at 11:39am
CA really is a world of its own. There were a few attempts at CCF reunions there so try doing some searching for [previously] active members, more in the north than south, and also scan the Diaries.

google search: ca reunion site:correctcraftfan.com/forum
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2016 at 12:08pm
Here is a SoCal guy. Are you sure the boat is an '87? I saw a listing for an '85 for $3500 on LA craigslist but nothing for an '87.

Send this guy a PM. Offer him some cash to check it out for you.
CORYM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2016 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Here is a SoCal guy. Are you sure the boat is an '87? I saw a listing for an '85 for $3500 on LA craigslist but nothing for an '87.

Send this guy a PM. Offer him some cash to check it out for you.

It is not currently listed online for sale. I will reach out to him. Thanks for the info!
CORYM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORYM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2016 at 12:31am
Updated first post with some limited pictures
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2016 at 12:48pm
It looks OK from the pictures. Probably worth looking at. Just keep in mind what others have stated. You can spend a bunch of money pretty quickly on a boat that has problems. I have seen some nice boats in Phoenix the last few years in the 6K range. I bought my '89 from a guy in Tempe for a little less than that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic