Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

03 Super Air Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
c_h_miller@yahoo.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c_h_miller@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 03 Super Air Questions
    Posted: January-13-2016 at 8:47pm
Hello,
Just found and joined this so I am a newbie. I purchased a 2003 Super Air Nautique this past fall and wanted to learn a few general things about the boat that I cant seem to find in the manual.

First off, Is the floor made of wood or is this fiberglass ? The front floor section in the bow between the seats seems to have curled up on the ends and I am wondering why. I have not torn into the floor as I am hesitant to do this until I know a bit more.

Second, where exactly are the BILGE pumps located ? I would assume one is towards the bow and the other maybe in the rear / engine compartment area. They don't seem to be operational and I am trying to run down the reasons. Seems to pop a breaker each time I try to use it ??

Third, where is the best place to find interior skins to replace a couple of mine that have stitching that has come loose.

Last, I understand there is a factory ballast system, and appears to be 2 large tanks in the rear , there are 2 handles in the engine compartment that allow water to flow into the system, well that doesn't happen . I have never operated a ballast system can someone give me a few pointers ?

Thanks in advance for any insight on these issues.

Clueless in San Antonio Texas

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2016 at 9:11pm
Welcome to the site. Christine's, in the yellow box upper left is the place to go for skins. They will be exactly the same that are in there now. As to the bilge pumps I have super sport but I think the pumps are in the same general area. The front one is mounted next to the pylon. Go thru the floor ski locker and you'll see a round access plate,remove that and the pump should be there. Back one is right below the engine. Pull them out, see what pumps they are and go to the companies web site,they should tell you how to release them from the bottom section. Mine were stuck just from sitting, I was able to free them up by turning the impeller and they were good to go. They had been popping the breaker too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2016 at 9:28pm
The boat is all fiberglass. Post a pic of the curling floors so we can see what's going on.

Actually, might as well add pics of the rest of the boat as well. We love pics here.

Congrats on your new boat.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2016 at 9:41pm
Welcome,

I agree, post a picture of the curling floor.

Christine's great for upholstery. Some have found good local shops as well.

Gary, he probably doesn't have a ski locker. An 03 should have a belly ballast where the ski locker was placed in earlier models. If so there should be a rectangular panel, covering the belly ballast. Unscrew the panel and one of the bilge pumps should be in that area. The other bilge should be in the engine compartment.

The handle valves on the ballast tanks should be sea cocks. You can close them to prevent any water form getting into the boat (and getting into the ballast system if connected). By 2003, I believe they had separate pumps for each ballast tank. The electric controls for the pumps should be in the drivers area. There may also be air vent valves for the ballast tanks in the drivers area. I don't remember for a 2003.

I hope you will continue to be a member here, but I would also suggest that there are a lot more owners of that model boat over on planetnautique.com.

Many people consider the 2003 to be the Best Super Sport/Super Air built from 1995 Through 2006.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c_h_miller@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 1:13am
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. Although, I don't have a pylon in my boat, I have a full wake tower. I will still try the ski locker as suggested though. I owned a malibu before this boat so I am new to the Nautique ways.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c_h_miller@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 1:26am
Yes I have sea cocks (2 handles) and it appears that each rear tank has its own ballast pump from what I can tell. The "ski locker" must be a belly bladder ? it is certainly too short for skis, has the appearance of a ski locker , I am not sure if is meant for ballast or not I never looked for a cover of any type so I will check for that. The owners manual is very vague ( covers several models ) and doesn't give specifics so I don't know exactly what the boat was outfitted with. I am wondering if the factory will have records if I reach out to them. The manual mentions the electronic controls for the ballast system but also says something about a control switch or lever of some type which I can't seem to locate so maybe I am not equipped with that or the sea cocks handle that job ??? I tried to use the ballast system and it didn't seem to pump anything into the boat. Guess I will just start digging into stuff and figure it out as I go, was just looking for some preliminary info and I really appreciate the help. Will get some pics up before too long,
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 9:52am
Do you know which trim level the boat is? Signature Edition would have a key for the ignition and separate ballast pump toggle switches with off-fill-empty positions, Limited & Team Edition would have a keypad for ignition and (3) buttons on the keypad for ballast, Left (Port), Right (starboard) and belly, push ballast button once, button light will illuminate solid to indicate pump fill, Push and hold - release ballast button, light will blink to indicate pump empty.
FYI, the original bilge pumps would be the cycling type, when you turn them on they cycle every couple minutes to sense water, if you have a keypad push hold - release ballast button to turn it constant on, light will blink to indicate that mode.

Congrats and post some pics especially if it's Blue :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c_h_miller@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 6:20pm
Thanks Quinner,

I don't know which edition it is, it does have the keypad ignition. All I know is it is the 2003 super air nautique, sorry, red striped with silver AIR decal. Yes it appears ballast controls are on the keypad. Has the ballast gauges on the right side of driver seat separate from the dash. I am not sure it has a belly ballast tank ? It appears to be a ski locker as it lifts up from the floor with a latch, but it was too short for my skis yet would fit a wakeboard. Maybe there is a belly tank under the empty compartment ? or maybe the belly tank still fills as is ? I don't have any experience with ballast systems. I will get some pics and share so I can get some experienced eyes on the questions at hand. Currently the boat is at storage near the lake will likely be a few weeks before I can get out to get it and take pics to help with this.
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 4:37pm
Welcome to the site. I believe the belly tank was still optional in 2003 and it sounds like yours does not have one based on your description. You can always add a bag in it's place. If the seacocks are opens and the rear tanks aren't filling it could be a pump issue or a valve/vent issue. Step 1 is determining if you can hear each pump pumping when you hit the appropriate button. I believe each tank will have a fill and an empty pump. I believe one or both will be located in a little cutout in the floor behind/under the tank at the rear of the boat. I forget exactly how they work but if you find both pumps in a line then they are setup for the fill pump to push water through the empty pump when filling and then the opposite happens when draining so the empty pump pushes water through fill pump. They are quiet but you should be able to hear something for each each fill and drain pump if you stick your head in the rear locker. If you aren't hearing each pump then start checking the electrical. If electrical is good then the pumps might be toast but replacements are only about $20.

If pumps are working fine then the issue could be tied to the valves for venting. I think there should be "helm control valves" on your boat. These would often not open/shut properly and if that is the case they would not fill/drain. Do a search on PlanetNautique.com and you can probably find some good info. Here is something on WakeWorld that explains it somewhat

As stated earlier there is no wood in your boat but there are panels made out of PVC or something similar. The floor in the bow is one of these boards and the rug wraps around it. This thread mentions it. If you have questions on how to remove it I am sure you can send Jared (Scarbs) a PM and he will get back to you. Shouldn't be too major an issue to fix especially compared to other floor issues that members have dealt with on older or abused boats.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c_h_miller@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2016 at 10:24pm
Thanks for all the knowledge, I really appreciate it. Yes it appears there is not a belly tank in my boat, at least there sure isn't one there now ha ha !

I was thinking about taking that bow floor section out and just re-covering in seadeck material. It is bowed but its not a huge issue , just a cosmetic annoyance.

I have seen some info on the ballast pump control valves and they certainly seem they could be suspect but I am not sure yet if I am equipped with these. I have not had time to go look at the boat ( in storage at lake ) in great detail due to the birth of a new child in the last 2 weeks. Life just got Crazy around here HA !

Anyhow, I do really appreciate the information and helpful links. We have our annual boat show this weekend and I plan to pick the brains of a few folks out there for some other ideas I have in mind.

This site has proven to be very helpful and I am appreciative.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic