Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1983 SN2001 - some questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 SN2001 - some questions
    Posted: May-19-2015 at 10:18am
Hello again everyone.

I have posted here in the past on the same topic but different boats.
I still have not managed to secure myself my current dreamboat (well one thats in an obtainable price range)

So once again I have a pretty neat looking '83 that could be mine if the stars aline.

Here is an image of the engine, sorry its the best they have sent me.
The boat is a solid 5-6 hour drive from me, so I cant just head on up there for a closer look.

How does it look, I see this is the chevy variant.
Does this have any non-standard parts from what you can see?

I need to confirm that is has (yes i ask this every time)
A marinised carburettor with flash arresters and A spark-less alternator with starter must be fitted.

Anyway, I have a pretty solid idea of what to look for in terms on the actual boat when I get there, but it will be a case of drive to buy, rather than drive to look and decide later.

So the only thing I am not super clued up on is the engine, so shoot with any concerns or comments good or bad, that would be awesome,

Thanks again, you guys never fail to disappoint with knowledgeable information
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 10:23am
on that topic.

does anyone have some sort of information on the buoyancy/foam under the deck.
I need to prove that it has flotation and a manufacturers certificate could get me by with that.

And if anyone has something in writing regarding the spark-less alternator and all that nonsense on these particular engines (personally I don't see the point when you have HT leads right there, but this is South Africa and we have these regulations)
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 11:23am
Can't quite see your fuel-pump to Carb fuel line. Best be steel or USCG approved flex or similar.

Looks like a mercuiser spark arrestor.

Carb looks like a holley may be in speadbore configuration.
Get the list# from the air horn and cross check to see if its a marine unit.

The mix of HT leads is suspect, yo will need closer pictures of the distributer and alt.
If they are mercruiser units then they will be good.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 11:30am
great thanks.

i think i may just buy it and hope i can get it through clearance without spending too much, i should get it at a pretty good price <$4000 and the rest of the boat looks clean, and has a tower.

I see the mismatched HT leads now, I will probably look at replacing all of them anyway

thanks for the reply
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 10:08am
Guys is there anyway to run the engine out of water without an adapter or t-piece mod.

I have a feeling we wont be able to get the boat in the water as it hasnt got its certifications done yet. And given that outboards are FAR more popular here locally that inboards, I doubt they will have any adapters or anything to allow the water in, is there a way around this?

scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 10:28am
garden hose

I just posted this link in another thread, but before the garden hose hookup (not really visible in the picture), the hose connects to the water intake. Before I stalled my garden hose hookup this year on one boat, I did this

note that this was a garden hose with the end broken off (I cut it off a few years ago for an unrelated reason)
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 10:30am
Pop the 1" hose off the pick up in the hull. Stick a 4' piece of garden hose in it, clamp it. Suck from a bucket with water.
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 10:35am
awesome guys thanks for the speedy response,
I just dont want to make a risky purchase without testing whatever I possibly can given my restrictions and the distance I am travelling for it.

Should be headed up there on Saturday and might have my first nautique! if all checks out
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 1:53pm
I just take a traditional brass hose nozzel that you can twist to turn of the water. Stick it in the hose after removing it from the inlet. Turn it open about a quarter of the way. Fire up the boat, and open it up about half to 3/4th. Run the boat. When you shut it off, close the nozzle.

Of course, you do not walk away from the boat and you keep an eye on everything.
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 6:12am
Thanks everyone, ill go prepared with a few options to try connect up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic