Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

backfired

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: backfired
    Posted: April-12-2015 at 1:46am
So here is what happened guys....today was the 2015 maiden voyage. happened quick but hooked up and went to the lake. Quick started it in the driveway to make sure it would fire. No sweat, fired right over. Went to the lake and sat forever in line waiting on a bunch of ding dong's figuring out how to launch the boat all the while DNR staring at everyone through binoculars and checking every friggin boat approaching the dock. So renee backed me in and I hit the key and I knew I was screwed right away. No fire. Rolled over but no go. Couldn't smell fuel or anything. Had her go back to the parking lot, kept pumping the hell out of it and then could see and smell fuel. Wind kept me from smelling it on the lake. While looking at the carb I noticed a wire that came out of the BATT pin on the DUI ignition. Fixed that crimp and literally BOOM! Huge backfire. Renee said flames shot out the flame arrester 6-8"! Scared the hell out of the kids...I mean crying! So I had a big backfire....but it started and ran fine after that. Relaunched the boat and it ran fine. Had one stumble at idle while kids swapped driving but never again. Drove it for a 1.5 hours.

Big question is since I had a big backfire due to me pumping the hell out of the throttle trying to get fuel up and then putting a spark to it, did I do some damage to the Holley? They have a blow off valve right but do I need to go through something after this happens?? Want to pick your brains but didn't know if I need to get in touch with Holley.

Thanks in advance!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 2:19am
Youre on the edge of whether you should care or not.   You coulda blown out a power valve with a big backfire. Starting in 92 holley started putting in blow out protection.. your 93 could have it in which case you are more likely to be fine. Yes a bunch of fuel in the manifold could been the cause. If the boat runs fine then run it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 10:00am
Thanks Joe. I was thinking last night that I forgot to mention that the Holley was new 3-4 years ago from Jody. I wasn't sure when Holley started putting that feature on the carb but now I know! Thanks!

Well, we will just carry on as normal then. Boat sure ran good. Gonna throw in some new plugs this year just because. Been a few seasons. What do you recommend. Still the old Autolite 764's? Is there a improvement to look into with the DUI?

Have a good one Hoss!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 11:25am
764's gapped to .055 with the DUI, Todd.

Agree with joe, if it ran god afterwards, nothing to worry about!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic