Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Drive

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet Drive
    Posted: November-20-2014 at 8:25pm
I'll have to look to see which model velvet drive I have, but I wondering if it is true you can change the direction of the tranny by rotating the pump and plate 180 degrees. I believe my 76 ski tique has a 71c.
"It's not the destination, it's the journey."
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 8:40pm
No it always spins the same direction that the engine does,the reason you can change the pump is to match what direction your engine turnes.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 8:50pm
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm looking to re power my Ski Tique and was considering using a car engine. If I went that route and if I didn't bother changing the rotation of the engine, I could rotate the pump to match the engine? And that would make it possible to use my stock prop?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by 87jct90 87jct90 wrote:

I'm looking to re power my Ski Tique and was considering using a car engine. If I went that route and if I didn't bother changing the rotation of the engine, I could rotate the pump to match the engine? And that would make it possible to use my stock prop?

Yes, as Gary mentioned, the pump can be changed to match the engine rotation. I feel changing to a LH (the prop needs to be changed as well) is a BIG mistake. The handling of the hull will be an issue. What's the matter with your present engine?? BTW, there are plenty of threads on the subjects. Do a search and read up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 9:36pm
No. Think of it this way,your original engine turns right,the trans is indexed for the right and you have a right hand prop. Now you use a left car engine the trans must match the left turning engine so you change the pump. The trans input is still left so the output will be left needing a left prop. Changing the pump does not change direction of the trans.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 9:43pm
Thanks for the info, yea I don't want to change rotation of the prop at all. The motor blew up and I have motors laying around I was hoping to use. I was doing research and I read that you can and cannot change the direction of the velvet drive and was just looking for clarification. I'm trying to do research but I don't have a comp at home right now and looking up info on this stupid phone is driving me nuts lol.
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 9:51pm
Thanks Gary, that's what I figured. I was just hoping there was a trick to the trade lol. Nothing is easy, but that is what keeps it interesting and fun.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by 87jct90 87jct90 wrote:

The motor blew up

This isn't the greatest description! Even if you threw a rod through the block, get a block and rebuild with all the RH parts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
87jct90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87jct90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 10:25pm
Description... it went boom! And I said ^*#+ lol. No it must have blew a head gasket. It has more water than oil in the pan and didn't realize it until there was literally steam shooting out of the breather cap on the valve cover. I have a LS motor sitting at home and was thinking about throwing her in. It would be nice to have more power and fuel injection. Was thinking about giving it a trial an see how it goes. However LS motors have a crank driven oil pump that cannot be reversed so I was hoping to keep the engine rotation stock and maybe correct the problem later in the drivetrain.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 9:11am
Another good reason not to drop in a car engine is that the electrical components most likely will not be marine rated.     You may have to replace starter & alternator. Not sure about modern EI multi-coil systems, they may be OK as is. If you do use the car engine, change the core plugs to brass. The cam should be changed to marine too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 11:04am
Put a pcm80a 1.123 tranny and you will be able to spin a lefty engine and keep the rh prop...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 12:14pm
Don't be afraid to change engine rotation on your old SN. Lots of wives tales floating around about the notion. We have updated and repowered many a CC with modern left hand powerplants. Yes some adjusting may be in order to make the boat run level. it all boils down to your application.If you are rebuilding a classic correct trailer queen then go the extra effort to make it as it was off the assembly line. If it is cost prohibited then by all means go down the economical route. Good luck.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic