Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor Help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor Help
    Posted: August-07-2014 at 2:31pm
Hey everyone, I hope everyone had been getting a lot of time out on the water this summer. We have been taking the boat out quite a bit and have been having a ball. I have been getting some hard starting problems in the boat though. I have been playing with the carb settings making sure there are no drips after turning off the engine, getting the most steady vacuum as possible at idle under load and checking the timing.

All that looks good but I have noticed it is taking a while for the engine to come back to idle timing (minutes sometimes) so I figured something must be going on in the dizzy. I pulled it all apart and the springs are a bit rusty and the lighter spring is stretched a little. other than that it looks OK. I pulled the weights and the springs off, cleaned everything up then lubed and put the weights back on.

On to the question, where in the Heck can I find these springs? I just get a dumb look at Auto Zone, O'Riley and Advance Auto when I ask for the part. Once I finally get it through to them what I am looking for (Springs in hand) they can not find a clue in their computer. Napa actually knew what I was talking about but they could not find them in their computer or catalog. I tried a Performance shop here in town but they said they only have springs for GM or MSD and they would not work on a Ford. I only talked to them on the phone because they are only open when I am here at work.

I have one other option, a Distributor specialties store here in town but I figured I would check in with all you talented, knowledgeable peeps to see what you all thought before I went way out of the way to go to this store.

TIA guys!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 3:14pm
White lake has them listed for Prestolite dizzys... I would imagine n3 and SkiDIM probably have them too.
Packrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Packrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 3:29pm
They are called----"Distributor Recurve Kits"
If the auto parts store can't find it for your boat then just pick a car of the same make and vintage as yours with the same engine----I assume a Ford Windsor type, like a 302 or 351----and any decent parts guy should get you covered from there.
Or better yet----just convert over to a GM HEI style distributor and everything becomes easier from here on. This works if your engine is a standard rotation engine---turns CW from the front of the engine---I say this because I haven't been able to find a distributor gear for these HEI distributors to change them over to reverse rotation for the CCW rotation marine engines. They are only $50 delivered off eBay. But just remember if you do convert then you must eliminate the ballist resistor that the points/external coil distributors use----its not needed with the electronic HEI units.
Hope some of this rambling helps.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 4:01pm
Hardly helpful, and potentially dangerous info!

There are very few marine rated HEI style distributors. Performance Distributors makes a marine version of their DUI for chevies and fords, but it's not cheap- not in the same league as a basic set of dizzy springs. Automotive distributors are NOT safe for use in a marine environment. The reverse cut gear for Fords is available, or at least was until recently, several here have reverse rotation fords with DUI's. 99% of correct crafts built from the 60's until '89 had reverse rotation engines, originally.

It's possible that a generic recurve kit could work, but cross referencing it to a make and model of car or truck with a similar engine won't help much if it used a different style of distributor. I am not aware of any autos tha used similar Prestolite distributors- if you know of any, it would be helpful to tell us exactly what to cross reference. Otherwise you're likely to end up with a generic recurve kit for a Mallory or similar, which *might* work... But speaking from experience, recurving a Mallory Dist with a Mallory kit is a pita enough, I can't imagine trying to get a different style of Dist working properly would be any easier!

It's easiest to just order the proper springs since they're available and inexpensive.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

White lake has them listed for Prestolite dizzys... I would imagine n3 and SkiDIM probably have them too.

Thanks, I did not see them on SkiDim but did not check the other 2, I will now though. Thanks for the info.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 4:43pm
All of the above places have access to more parts than shown on their websites. If you don't see something, I recommend picking up the phone!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 10:11pm
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Ya mean like these

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/distributorsprings.aspx

Dat be Dem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic