Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flipping an overturned pontoon plane

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flipping an overturned pontoon plane
    Posted: June-05-2013 at 3:19am

I know some of the good folks here are pilots. Any suggestions?   

My friend at the lake is neck deep in getting the plane back on it's floats (he is the only crane on the lake). Going to try again in the am. Looks like we will need to have multiple boats to secure the plane @ the wing tie downs to keep it from spinning and maybe a 3rd to bring the nose around and under. Also ringing in a bigger land based crane in the am / cable jumped off the top pulley and bound on his crane.

I was stuck at work listening to the play by play. I will be in attendance for mechanical help ~ I usually tend to his repairs.       
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 3:20am

This quick link seems to cover the basics from a boy scout manual point of view. Righting a Capsized Floatplane
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 9:52am
Its is amazing what you can learn on the internet.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 6:34pm
I took my little Carolina Skiff to use as a work boat / Plane Tow.

All went amazingly well. The plane was almost capable of a fluids flush and fly home but a wing tip got dinged last night on the original lift attempt. Turns out the pilot runs a WWII airplane restoration business and his mechanic was the co pilot.

Michael ....    

va-river-tique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote va-river-tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 6:43pm
I heard on the news last night that he landed 12 times earlier that day ... the last one which flipped the plane was #13 as the landing gear/wheels didn't retract all the way into the pontoons, ole lucky #13, glad everyone was ok.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 10:26pm
An erratic boat driver pulling a tube in his LZ distracted him. He almost saved it ~ 3rd bounce the pontoons nosed in and it balanced for a few sec before the weight shifted and it went over. Very soft and slow. Co-Pilot is also a diver so they were fine.
Michael ....    

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic