NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2WD or 4WD

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 1:48pm
John, all the pictures you posted are Tacomas, not Tundras. I believe Toyota had some frame issues in the 1st gen Tundra but the 2nd gen trucks haven't had any issues with recalls other than the gas pedal hoax and that still has yet to be proven to be the culprit of the mysterious runaway Camry's. (by the way those pedal assemblies were made from an American manufacturer).
At least my airbag won't unexpectedly deploy while I'm driving.
At least my airbag won't unexpectedly deploy while I'm driving.">F-150 airbag recall
Or my gas tank won't fall out causing the truck to catch on fire:
F150 gas tank straps fail on 1-million trucks

I could go on but I have work to do. They all have recalls.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 2:19pm
Brett, my 99 R/T was recalled for over rated towing weight. We actually owned one that was a factory buy back. The suspension was the problem it being lowered and having different spring rates for performance application.

The new rating was only 2000 lbs. The R/T came with aux ps and tranny coolers, larger engine cooling system/radiator, 3/4 ton automatic transmission, and a half ton 9 1/4 rear axle with 3.92 limited slip. Needless to say I reguarly towed well over the recalled rating ;).

I think the only recalls on my 10 Ram were outter tie rods and a reprogram of the HVAC head unit. Some of the 10s had a recall for incorrect torque settings of the rear pinion nut sometimes causing the drive shaft to fall out . My build date was not effected by that recall.

Being that I used to work at a Chrysler dealer and my Dad was also a service manager for a different dealer there were lots of recalls on the other vehicles like vans mostly. Hyundai had a lot of recalls too. I think manufacturers like to keep those recals under wraps unless they are a big deal like something the media can make money on ie(sticking throttle pedals frames breaking in half).
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 3:32pm
Zach, the stuff they like to keep under wraps are the TSB's. Technical Service Bulletins. These are known problem items that haven't quite gone to full-blown product recalls or don't pose a safety issue. I used to frequent the Tundra forums and before that was on the Chevy forums when I owned my Silvy. You'd be shocked at the amount of TSB's there are for various vehicles that people don't know about. But it's nice to know about them and even nicer when you actually have the issue and can bring that print-out to the dealer and say "Fix this!".   
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 3:59pm
I know! Chrysler renamed urgent TSBs as RRTs. Rapid Response Transmitals. There is a fine for not completeing these before the sale of the vehicle or if the vehicle has a warranty claim other than that processed on the vehicle.

Mostly what TSBs are now are helpful hints or procedures for doing RRTs or specific warranty jobs(atleast in Chrysler world).
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Right on Gary. Towing in style!

I'm fairly certain this is actually forum member "form&function". Reminds me of Larry's story about taking on water in his minivan at Lake George.

Anyone heard from Ryan in a while?   What happened with his son?   From the looks of that pic, he must have sold the V-drive 2001, and purchased a sunsport?

I am a fan of the custom wagons.... the suicide door lincoln with the airstream is pretty cool too!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 4:11pm
That Supra was before the CC
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 4:11pm
Yeah, mid-6 lincolns are the shizzle.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 5:15pm
I think Animal house makes me like those Lincolns. Ramming Speed!!!!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 5:19pm
Here is another tow option. He never used a ramp but rather had it
lifted off so the trailer would not get full of salt.This trailer
was only used to store it and travel a mile to launch. A tandem was
used to haul long distance.As long as you don't get a G23 2wd should
be fine

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Brett, my 99 R/T was recalled for over rated towing weight. We actually owned one that was a factory buy back. The suspension was the problem it being lowered and having different spring rates for performance application.

The new rating was only 2000 lbs. The R/T came with aux ps and tranny coolers, larger engine cooling system/radiator, 3/4 ton automatic transmission, and a half ton 9 1/4 rear axle with 3.92 limited slip. Needless to say I reguarly towed well over the recalled rating ;).

I think the only recalls on my 10 Ram were outter tie rods and a reprogram of the HVAC head unit. Some of the 10s had a recall for incorrect torque settings of the rear pinion nut sometimes causing the drive shaft to fall out . My build date was not effected by that recall.

Being that I used to work at a Chrysler dealer and my Dad was also a service manager for a different dealer there were lots of recalls on the other vehicles like vans mostly. Hyundai had a lot of recalls too. I think manufacturers like to keep those recals under wraps unless they are a big deal like something the media can make money on ie(sticking throttle pedals frames breaking in half).

Hyundai has come a long way, I'm on my 4th. Get this: Around 80K miles my 2008 Sonata made a noise the dealer could not identify. At 105K miles it made a bad noise which the dealer identified as catastrophic engine failure. Since the prior unidentified noise had been documented, they replaced with a brand new engine (I saw the crate) at no cost to me other than a token $300 share of the labor. New engine at 105,000 miles for $300 bucks, think many other manufacturers would do that? My son drives it now running strong at 180K on the odometer, 75K on the engine. Now I drive a 2011 Elantra, 77,000 already and going strong....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2013 at 12:03am
My gawd you spend waay too much time in the car
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2013 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

My gawd you spend waay too much time in the car

Ya think? Seems every 2 years I've got a great 100K mile car to pass to one of the kids........
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2013 at 1:15pm
Where I live I wouldn't consider a 2WD vehicle. There's too many weather related reasons to have 4WD, the boat towing is just one more reason.

I launch from a yard on a sandy beach a lot, no way to get out with 2WD. My friend's 2WD Suburban got stuck some years ago, had to pull him out.

As someone said, 4WD is so available now, doesn't cost much more, mpg's aren't all that much worse, maintenance isn't an issue, I'd go 4WD every time just so there's no question you can launch anywhere, anytime.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2013 at 1:26pm
74, I love the new Sonota especially with the turbo motor. I would chose to drive one of those home when I worked for the Hyundai/Chrysler store over a 200 or Avenger. The interior appointment and materials reminds me of my mom's 08 328i Bimmer.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2013 at 1:43pm
Yeah 4wd is great when you put yourself in a position to get stuck with 2wd, duh.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2013 at 1:48pm
Thankfully HW is very good at not putting his Caddy in 4wd Situations. Even though it isn't a "4x4" The country chicks still dig it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2013 at 1:50pm
Have good tyres and don't stop. Hell I don't even have limited slip!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic