Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - GT-40 EFI Engine sputtering, ECM relay or FCC???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 EFI Engine sputtering, ECM relay or FCC???

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 11:54am
Looks like your fuel pump is going. I had this same issue this past summer. The boat ran fine. Parked it at the dock and shut it off. Came back a couple hours later and it wouldn't start. Found the tripped ciruit pushed it in and it started right up. Over the course of a couple of weeks it became more frequent until it started stalling while under way. It is very common problem with the GT-40s and it is easy to replace. I highly recommend a second set of hands to hold the pump. I fixed mine right at the dock.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 12:03pm
To be more specific it was the low presure fuel pump. See my thread in Engine repair GT-40 injector breaker tripping. Last post was 8/13/12. I want to say the pump was $130.00 - $135.00.
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 12:03pm
I presume you mean the safety lanyard beside the driver's right arm... Sure for an intermittent cutout, I'd buy that theory if the switch was crappy. Also an issue when your are floating down river towards the dam and the boat won't start cuz *someone* knocked it off on a power turn (but I digress :-) )..

I'm less convinced that would cause a strong fuel smell and or stumbling at throttle up. Even idling back to the dock would not happen with the lanyard disengaged, the boat would not run at all. If I have the symptoms correct, they are exactly the scenario for the Fuel filter/water separator issue. Therefore, IMHO it seems you might have 2 problems. 1) A hinky lanyard switch and 2) The hose in the fuel filter.

I am completely jealous that you are skiing. Maybe I need a plane ticket to come help you diagnose it!!! :-)
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
ricofrancois View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 10:15pm
Bakchose, I don't think that we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about the safety lanyard switch that may be faulty. If there is a bad contact and the switch activates for half a second, the fuel pump will shut off for half a second and therefore explains the sputtering.

wetskier2000, you can come and ski anytime here but I can't say it's really warm! 55 air and 50 water.
I think the fuel smell occurs only once when the switch may have come off and back on a few time in a row,

I have the replacement hose anyway which I will replace when I change my fuel filter.

I will replace the safety lanyard and see if the problem reoccurs.

I am working on the manifolds right now. replacing gaskets and will have to gauge whether I can reuse the manifolds and risers for a few more years.

I am going to have bad dreams about safety lanyards and dams now :-)
Ski Nautique 97 - GT40 EFI
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by ricofrancois ricofrancois wrote:

The boat didn't start after running fine for a set. I noticed I couldn't hear the fuel pump anymore when turning the key. After checking a few things, I tried to play with the emergency circuit cut off switch and the fuel pump started again and the engine ran fine. I guess it could explain the whole intermittent cut of.

When you mentioned circuit I thought you were talking about the circuit breakers on the back of the engine. Sorry about that.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2013 at 12:46pm
So this might just be an issue with the safety tether?
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2013 at 6:16pm
BTW: The safety lanyard circuit seemed to allow the fuel pump to run a little. Maybe on crank, but not on RUN. That's one part that really screwed me up doing any diagnosis as we were floating towards the dam... It would seem to fire up then immediately die. I wasn't thinking lanyard at all. I was thinking ECM not sending correct signals to the fuel pump or something along those lines... Similar to cars where oil pressure is an input to the ECM and without oil pressure you get 3-5 seconds of fuel then a shutdown.

Oh, and it gets better... We finally get out the anchor to stop down river movement.... Guess what was the only thing out there to tow us in..... I was grateful, but talk about embarrassing..
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic