Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter, guage and steam questions! - GT40

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter, guage and steam questions! - GT40
    Posted: August-07-2012 at 8:43am
Finally got my 2001 super air back from a short block replacement. Thanks to all on the forum for the kind ears and advice over the last 3 months. Engine runs really well but I have a couple of niggles to look at.

Question 1) When cold the boat starts on the touch of a button. No cranking at all. When warm the starter sounds like it is struggling to turn. It may turn once or twice really slowly and then the engine fires up. It's my understanding (which is limited) that a bad starter is worse when warm. All the connections to the starter are good and the battery and terminals are brand new and tight.

Question 2) The temp guage and tach looks like they are gone. When the boat is switched off the guage sits at 240 or so. When switched on it immediatley drops to 0. The guage is the original one. Will any temp guage work in replacement? I can order any the faria 'coral' guages from the link below. I'm not fussed on it not matching as I'll be replacing the other digital ones over time as well as they are on the way out and it seems that nautique parts offer the faria guages as replacements for the original telelex guages. The digital tach also wont register rpm but the other functions on it work so it needs to go. The speedo is ok at the mo.

URL=http://www.nautiqueparts.com/fariagaugeconversionkitforboatswithperfectpassandblkblkgauges.aspx.]NP replacement guages[/URL]

Faria coral UK supplier

Question 3) I appear to be getting what looks like white smoke or steam from the exhaust. It clears quickly from around the swim platform. the tech says its steam and not to worry about it. Does this sound right? It doesn't seem to smell smokey but my old boat didn't do this. Just looking for further reassurance i guess.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance,

Darren.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 1:16pm
1.) Could be that the starter is going, it could also be that the ignition is too advanced. Hopefully others weigh in on this one as well.

2A.) Now, does the gauge start at 240, and immediately go to 0 like you said, or does it start at 0 and immediately go to 240?

I ask, because a gauge pegging at 240, with the ignition on, would indicate that the sender wire is getting a direct path to ground. A possible miss wiring on the engine side. The reverse scenerio,like you described, is a little confusing.

2B.)Not sure on the tach, but I know others have experience with these gauge sets.

3.)Steam from the exhaust is definitely normal under certain circumstances. As long as water is not getting into the cylinders or engine oil. I'd check your motor oil periodically to make sure (and just anyway) but this should be normal.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 2:57pm
It is symtomatic of too advanced timing..
Simply disable the spark (remove coil wire, or however yours is)
And if it cranks normal when hot, there's your problem
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 9:09pm
steam is normal. but a lot of steam would indicate several things:

1.) Water leaking into cylinders.
2.) Not enough water making it to exhaust.
3.) Uneven exhaust cooling.

But its prob no big deal. everything sounds normal. I just replaced all the gauges in our Supra and did a lot of electrical work and the temp gauge will slowly rise to any temp (even past 240) and go right back to 0 at turn of the key.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2012 at 8:24am
thanks guys. i'll check when i'm back at the boat in a couple of weeks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic