Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2005 216 Transmission whine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
timmessick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmessick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2005 216 Transmission whine
    Posted: July-19-2012 at 9:32pm
I just bought a 2005 216 and when I place it in forward at idle speed the tranny whines/hums. There is no vibration and it performs great with no whine once I throttle up. The packing seems to have minor issues(hard to get the drip consistent) but the noise is from the transmission area. Is this Normal? My old 99 Sport was quiet
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 9:55pm
A little bit of whine from the 1.23 to 1 trannys is normal. Is it an obnoxiously loud whine?
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmessick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 10:15pm
It's growing on me. With 165 hrs I wouldnt think it would be this noticable. Did they change the tranny manufacture from the 99 sport I had? With my 99 it was the clicking flex plate which Woody told me for years it was fine. Finally, I said if I put in a new flex plate will it shut me and my boat up? That was the first time in 25 years I heard Woody laugh. He was right the old one was fine just had that noise to live with, but the new one never made a sound.
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 10:45pm
I'm sure Pete or someone else will chime in soon. He will know for sure. I don't THINK they changed the trannys from 99 to 05 too much but I'm not too familiar with the late model boats. I know my 98 SN has a very noticeable whine/hum at all speeds, but any guy will tell you it's just characteristic of that particular transmission. It couldn't hurt to make sure the tranny is running the right amount and type of fluid. Like I said, they whine some... but it shouldn't be anything obsessive.
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 2:39am
same pcm tranny...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmessick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 1:30pm
I found the boat in TX at Buxton Marine where they said it had all fluids changed. They’re a Nautique dealer so I’m confident the fluids are good. I live in Atl. so I ask my brother in TX to demo the boat, I drove over and picked it up and took it home before putting it in the water. What does he know, #1 he’s my brother and #2 he owns a Mastercraft. Buxton said the boat was a 9 ½ and they were close considering their selling the boat. The stereo speakers are blown but we’re old and don’t notice until we really crank up the volume. Also, the boat was beached quite a bit judging from the hull scratches. But hey, it’s used and I’m happy with the boat and price. I’m just a disclosure type of dude.
1970 Barracuda
1990 Ski Nautique
1983 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes (recession)
1999 Sport Nautique
2005 216 Sport
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 1:37pm
Our 99 sport whines a lot. Our solution was to just make the boat louder so you couldn't hear it, so we coverted our hull hugger muffler to a straight Y-pipe.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 1:51pm
Lol Craig    Hey, Tim, make a diary entry and post some pics of your ride. We love pictures! Welcome to CCfan by the way.
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmessick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 2:07pm
Craig, my first boat was the Barracuda blood red with a high compression engine and 2 straight 5” unobstructed exhaust pipes. It was quite the attention getter and of course with my younger self at the helm, it was a chick magnet as well. Lol I’m an old married dude with kids and don’t if I could shun the attention as I should. haha
1970 Barracuda
1990 Ski Nautique
1983 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes (recession)
1999 Sport Nautique
2005 216 Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 3:51pm
My 05' 206 was my first inboard that sounded more like an i/o, lol, definitely a significant whine in gear. The very quiet exhaust may also be contributing to you hearing more.

Just let all those voices in your head drown it out....everything is going to be OK, lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic