Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley Carb. Power Valve question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley Carb. Power Valve question
    Posted: July-02-2012 at 9:06pm
It's getting time to rebuild the Holley carb on my 1990 Ski Nautique. When it was done 5 years ago, I recall installing a 6.5 Hg power valve, but can't remember the pros and cons of using it vs. the 2.5 Hg power valve that comes with the rebuild kit.

Will someone please opine on the differences?

Thanks!

1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 3:41pm
The 6.5 will basically run richer. Although, it's not quite that simple. I remember a few threads where everyone was really in favor of the 6.5, not sure exactly why.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

The 6.5 will basically run richer.

Kinda sorta.

All the Holley PV's flow the same amount of fuel. The difference between them is how much vacuum is required to pull them open. The higher the number, the less vacuum is required- thus, it opens easier/sooner.

The thought is that (to an extent), the higher the # PV, the more responsive the engine will be. The trade off for that responsiveness is a bit of fuel economy.

Gottaski can explain this better than I can.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 3:51pm
Tim, did you change yours? If so, did you see a difference?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 3:56pm
Im running a 7.5 in the '90. I couldnt tell you if it made a change- I did a bunch of things all at the same time. I can tell you for sure that the boat is plenty responsive!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 4:05pm
I switched over to the 6.5 from the 2.5 with the last rebuild. I think on a boat its really hard to feel subtle differences. Not like a car on a track where you can crossreference speed/distance markers.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 10:36pm
I've rebuilt a few over the years , and found the 2.5 lacking.

With the 2.5, the carb wont come out of lean cruise till vacuum is 2.5 inches or less.
However load is maxed when you come out of the hole, the engine needs the fuel then, else there is a subtle , yet reproducable dull spot 2-2500 rpm or so. The extra fuel from the pvcos is critical under high load, nobody changed the mains, nor lightened our boats, but suddenly carbs and kits are shipped with the 'leanest' pv that exists!
I think it some half baked idea to use mrarginally less fuel.

After 25 years, it was time for a fresh carb for myself, bolted on, set idle mix, tried to tune out that dull spot again, then just opened it up and threw a 6.5 in and its as smooth as an fi engine.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 12:21am
Thanks, guys!
1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic