NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Poor Man's GT40 Diagnosis

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 3:36pm
It sounds to me like you maybe just need to do a cable adjustment or maybe a cable end replacement 

The noise you hear would be the relays for the ECM and the fuel pumps and then the pumps running.

When you do the wiggle or jiggle, due to the slop, you eventually hit a spot where the NSS is closed up and when you turn the key, the remote solenoid/relay gets energized and passes power to your most likely "perfectly good starter"

The thread below has some good reading, it was talking about a Borg Warner transmission but all the same stuff applies to your PCM transmission and cable and linkage

link

You want to be able to look at the cable end at the throttle control because they (both the throttle and shifter ends) can wear out like the pictures in the link show,

They're not the easiest things to get to, but if an adjustment at the transmission end doesn't work for you, then you should look at those

If you put both wires on the same terminal like mentioned in the previous post, and it starts, it doesn't mean that your NSS is bad, it just means that you took it out of the circuit and it could be good or bad. Your jiggling picks up the switch, so most likely it just needs adjusting. 

If you disconnect the cable at the transmission end and manually shift the transmission lever into the neutral detent and it starts every time, then the switch is good.

And the kill switch has nothing to do with the power to the starter, it affects power to the fuel pumps and ECM but the engine will still crank over.

You can start with adjustment and if all else fails, spend some money on the switch, but remember, you replaced it once before without curing the problem. Wink
Sdunn4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sdunn4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 4:33pm
Thanks for the replies! I’ll follow the procedure spelled out in the posts and links, assuming that connection of the 2 sides of the NSS gives me a clean start. I believe I did this years ago but never dialed the position in correctly at both ends of the throttle cable. Will let you know how it turns out tomorrow (cold winds and a chance of snow today!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
  Share Topic