Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Paul View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing question
    Posted: October-04-2005 at 12:58am
I am new to the nautique club. I have a 90 SN. I live in MN, where our ski season is a wee bit shorter than those in southern climates. MY question is what is the best way to enable one to run the boat/winterize the boat in the driveway? Use a "fake-a-lake" or to install a flush kit to maintain water flow through the engine? Any detailed suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2005 at 10:57am
All you have to do is remove the hose at the haul pick-up and stick a garden hose into it.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2005 at 2:24pm
I think 79nautique meant hull not haul. I have a fake a lake and it works great. Put antifreeze in your motor. Two years ago here in NC we had freezing rain for two days and it was cold, and we lost electricity due to falling trees. After that I finally got a generator. I've always heard it had to get to about 18 degrees and stay there for several hours to freeze a block, any way don't take a chance. Here's a picture of the freezing rain.
Tim D
James D View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2005 at 12:45am
Is there any way of keeping the boat through the winter short of winterizing? Such as keeping an engine box heater going. I have an 83 Ski Nautique and have winterized it religiously; however, it seems there should be a better way.
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2005 at 12:56am
How long do you leave it winterized? amd how cold is it?
James D View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2005 at 1:00am
Five months, and here in KY it can get pretty cold, below zero sometimes. However, the boat is kept in an unheated garage.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2005 at 11:39pm
You can winterize your boat without a fake-a-lake, if you drain the motor properly. The owner manual for your engine should tell where you need to drain the water. Just drain those places and then put in a couple of gallons of antifreeze.

That said, even if you don't flush the motor you still need to fog the engine and put sta-bil in the gas tank.

I've toyed with the idea of heating my garage, so that I didn't have to drain the boat every year. But, having lived through an extended winter power outage myself, I'm afraid I'm too paranoid (and protective) to put that much trust in my furnace.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
new86owner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2005 at 1:03pm
I never winterize my boat. I ride all winter with my drysuit. All I do is drain the block and manifolds after every use. Don't let the cold deter you from gettin out on the water!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic