NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Smartphones

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smartphones
    Posted: April-08-2012 at 3:03pm
Ok gang I'm ready to beecome part of the smartphone crowd. I have it narrowed to an Android Razor Max and a Iphone 4S. As one being pretty illeterate to benefits, speed, apps etc and a 10 year old helping but confusing me even more I wondered what ya'll have and why?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2012 at 3:40pm
my wife and i upgraded two weeks ago I from an android x to the razor. the razor is worlds away from my x which was the best phone i have ever had. the new phone is faster, the camera is supurb. my wife loves the 4 s its her first smart phone . the only upside i have seen is there seems to be more apps available for the I phone
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2012 at 8:18pm
iPhone. If you don't have to have it right now and can be patient they wait for the new model this summer. I really like the 4S, my wife has one and I've almost bought one myself a couple of times, but now that we're into the spring I can see the next one heading my way so I can wait and see if I have to have it when it gets here.

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that it's worth the extra expense to stick with most Apple things because they work and I don't have to time or the knowledge to mess around with the other stuff. My iPhone will do 90% of what I would do with a laptop, the rest I can do on the Mac it's just not portable.   
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 1:32am
TX is right, there is only one smart phone and it's got an Apple logo on the back. The hardware is amazing and the software and app store makes it a home run. The other moronic phones (and there is just no other way to put it- they are absolutely ridiculous after experiencing an iOS product) are going to be playing catch-up for a long time. See also: personal computer hardware, MP3 players, and tablets. Apple has done a lot of stuff right for the past 10 years.

My Macbook Pro was machined out of a single aluminum billet. It's the most beautiful and amazingly functional pieces of hardware I've ever used. I like Correct Craft for the same reasons Iove Apple.

YouTube Macbook Pro Machining video
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 1:51am
Blackberry, I hate touch screens. My phone is a tool, not a toy. I won't buy a phone that requires you to be married to itunes.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 2:01am
I just got my Mom an Iphone 4s, I have and android. The I phone is easier to learn, although frustrating to switch to from an android based phone because it works differently. You have to learn the android phone, it is less intuitive, but once you have learned it the Iphone can pi$$ you off because it does not react to what you have learned. I believe my android is more capable than moms Iphone, but honestly the Iphone does everything you really need it to. The Iphones navigation is very fast but it does seem a little slower responding to the network.

This comes down to the old IBM versus Apple argument each has strengths and weaknesses, the most important thing is that you get a smart phone, the first week is confusing, after the second you will not comprehend how you ever lived without it.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 2:38am
You aren't married to iTunes, most of my music collection is on disks, same with the DVD's, I just keep it in iTunes. I think I've bought maybe 5% of that stuff from Apple, but it's so handy to be able to put it all on an iPod Classic and take a cable with me and I can watch or listen to it all of it where ever I want. It's the head unit in my boat, I have satilite radio as well as almost every station in the country and Pandora. Most of my posts now are from the chair on my front porch, and if i wanted to i could say them and not have to type. It keeps my bank accounts and does the record keeping for my lawn service. I can shoot edit and upload video from the boat with it. My son has my 3GS and now the PS2 and the Wii spend most of there time collecting dust and he can communicate with his friends even though it runs without a cellular contract. Those are only the things I use it for daily.

The only issues I have with the iPhone is that it gets really slow when I go to Austin, that's AT&T's fault. I don't have that issue elsewhere. I think that Austin is just so overloaded with iPhones that the network can't keep up. At home on the wireless network it runs just as fast as the computer on wireless.   
wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 10:29am
You cannot move a file between your computer and iphone or ipad without itunes installed, that's married to itunes.

I also like being able to swap out the battery if it runs down and there is no charger handy, like when traveling.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 11:26am
I am biased as I love Apple and Mac based products. I use a MacBook, iMac, iPad and of course my iPhone, my 3 year old son even plays with my old iPod Touch. I love the way my information transfers seamlessly and now with the newest software updates I don't even have to plug into one of my computers to sync.

I don't know much about the android phones, but all my family and friends that have them love them. My brother did swear by is droid, albeit the first generation and then switched to the iPhone and he says he wished had done it sooner, but again he loved his droid.

I think you have to determine what each has that the other doesn't and then decide on which you can and cannot live without. Like one person mentioned earlier, you cannot change the battery on iPhone. However, Apple customer service is second to none. If you live by an Apple store I highly advise you go there and purchase your phone. Those guys and gals will typically bend over backwards to help you out, unlike those folks at the phone store. One last note, if you use iTunes and like it then iPhone IMO is the best way to go and vise versa if you hate iTunes then you will hate the iPhone.

Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by wingwrench wingwrench wrote:

You cannot move a file between your computer and iphone or ipad without itunes installed, that's married to itunes.

I also like being able to swap out the battery if it runs down and there is no charger handy, like when traveling.

You can email files and even work on them, I have Excel/Numbers files that I send back and forth and could do it with PowerPoint and Word files too. The screen is a bit small on the iPhone so an iPad would be a better device if you need to do much.

The battery issue is what it is, you learn to deal with it and keep it on a charger as often as possible. I don't know that you can change batteries on other smart phones either, I've never looked. I can stream the radio answer, emails and make a few posts every morning and go for about 5 hrs. I plug it in to a wall socket at lunch and be back to a full charge within an hour to do the same thing in the afternoon. In 3 years I've only managed to run it completely down a handfull of times when I needed it and couldnt charge it. Most of those were using the GPS constantly at Disney, quick work around was to simply use 2 phones instead of just one.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 2:42pm
There is something to be said about buying into the herd.. down at the SJRR we had 5 iphones on the boat for a good part of the weekend. You could grab anyones phone and not have to ask how to make a call, send a text, lookup directions to the spring, or play music. One charger and everyone (Except trbenj and his dinophone) could keep thier phone charged.

Being the kind of guy who abuses and then likes to fix his stuff I liked that I could find cheap parts online and replace a broken screen and waterlogged speaker (it took repeated dunks to finally kill it) on my last iphone to keep me going until the next one came out. It is like buying a full size chevy or ford.. there are so many out there that aftermarket parts and apps will be plentiful and cheap.

That being said.. there are alot of great smartphones out there.. it is hard to go wrong with most of them!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Chicomew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicomew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by wingwrench wingwrench wrote:

On the non-removable battery issue, there are a ton of options for a secondary battery if extra power is a concern. I've seen these in various forms like a small battery pack that plugs into the phone and acts as a charger you could carry in your bag for when its needed. On the other end of the spectrum, these cases from mophie are pretty cool.
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 3:02pm
I'll vote for an HTC Android phone. Root it, and the sky's the limit on what you can do with it. I used to want an iphone, but was with sprint and didn't have the option until recently. Now that I can have it, even with a year and a half year old EVO, I don't want one.

With the google music app, there's no need to store music locally or have a lot of storage on the phone.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic