NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High Speed Train Track Construction

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Speed Train Track Construction
    Posted: March-30-2012 at 3:11pm
A buddy of mine sent me this link to a video of how they are building the high speed rail line (tracks) between Chicago and St. Louis. It is really quite the engineering marvel. I am amazed at how they have come up with a machine to automate almost the entire process.

Clearly this is the key to a consistent, high quality track and bed, which is obviously required for High Speed Train operation. I wonder how those concrete ties will hold up to the winter freeze and thaw cycle. I would image they are jammed full of some sort of reinforecement though.

Anyway enjoy.

High Speed Rail Construction
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 4:51pm
Thanks for posting that great video.
I've been wondering when we were going to see concrete railroad ties in the states. I was in Germany last month and rode the high speed (180mph) train. Smooth as glass. We were riding at night, and it felt as if we were flying. No clacking of the seams in the track. If fact, I walked 800' of track at one of the stations, and could not find the welds or seams in the track. Same system as in the video.
Being in the precast concrete business, I like to see concrete ties being used.
BTW, air entrained, high strength (8000psi+) concrete, similar to paving stones.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 5:30pm
Aren't we Belgians a great people...
Infrabel is a Belgian company...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Aren't we Belgians a great people...
Infrabel is a Belgian company...

THE BEST!
My daughters longtime boyfriend/partner, Luke Batten, is in Brugge, Belgium for the third time this month. I will get together with him when he returns for a tasty Belgian beer to hear about his adventures.
For anyone with an interest in. bicycles and/or art, I think you will find his online magazine interesting.
http://tenspeedhero.com
A printing company in Brugge is printing his latest book.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 9:33pm
Kristoff, we Americans tend to spend more time in the bedroom instead of playing with Physics, one jab, but as I have always said in the past, you guys can cut a helical gear like no other in the world.
I caught a Ghost Hunters international show from Antwerp, it was on a womans property where her grandfather got clipped from the Krauts, anyways in one of the buildings she owned were about a couple thousand WW1 leather gas masks just laying there, and canisters, just thought it was kinda funny that I would think they would fetch a couple hundy apiece on E-Bay
"the things you own will start to own you"
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 5:25am
Well- the Americans have a long history of preeeecision railroad engineering, see example:
This is the life
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 11:58am
that is still one of the funniest moments in film history
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 2:05pm
One of the funniest movies in film history. I rate it very close to Caddyshack.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 2:06pm
Somebody go back and get a sh$tload of dimes.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 5:42pm
caddy shack
uncle buck
summer rental
a fish called wanda
blazing saddles
not in any specific order
maybe a few adam sandler movies mixed in
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 6:17pm
Animal House
Young Frankenstein
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 6:23pm
Come on baby!

This is the life
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 9:46pm
that actually starts better than my old kubota
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 2:50am
Slap Shot
Forrest Gump
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 6:15am
Steve,
Sorry if I derailed the highspeed train with the hyjack.
That is a cool video it's pretty amazing machinery. They are trying to build a high speed train here in California.

And Belgian manufacturing- I sure love my Brownings to be made there.

Anyway the track building scene somehow reminded me of Blazing Saddles and the track laying scene...I wish they had not cut off right where it did because I always liked how they roped the cart and pulled it out ..."almost lost a good cart"
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic