NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dorsey trailer trouble

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wetneck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dorsey trailer trouble
    Posted: March-25-2012 at 2:49pm
with my 99 ski came a dorsey trailer and i always have issues with the tongue, on and off.... what am i doing wrong/not doing ???
if it was removable without torching it would be gone already, but it DOES hold tight but what a pain... any tips/tricks ???
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 7:04pm
Can you be more specific?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
wetneck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 10:26pm
in dropping ON ball is not as difficult as lifting off... usually takes me about 10 mins....i lift top release and just always have a hard time lifting off....always clamps on.. have to use a pry bar half the time to lift tongue off ball...SO much harder than any traditional hitch ive owned
I cant see any other easier way to engage/ disengage and just looking for any input
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 12:03am
Have to be careful here talking tongues, nuts,and balls or I will end up on someones tag line. What size hitch ball are you using? does it match the numbers on the coupler (I know very basic, but that is the best place to start). Is the latching mechanism well greased? There is a large nut on the bottom of the latch mechanism (bottom side of trailer tongue) that adjust how tightly it couples, try loosening it a little.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 12:17am
The coupler could be distorted, a trailer shop can replace it for you, $100 tops even if it is welded on.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:28am
On mine, you drop it as if the front of the tongue is fitting tight over the front of the ball (snicker). In other words, the trailer is as far back as it can be and still fit over the ball. Works well that way.

As for getting it off (snicker), I just raise it up and if it hasn't released easily, I just rock it back and forth a bit and off it comes.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 10:01am
Can you take a picture? Dorsey change their actuators several years ago.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 2:43pm
This is the best one I have.

1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 5:52pm
Ya that's the older of the two actuators. If that is the one you have and if needed to be replaced, it would be the cheaper of the two to do so.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 7:23pm
Is yours UFP? That's what I had on the old MC trailer if I recall. Never had much trouble with it. Just a bit different.

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 9:10pm
Don't think there is a nut underneath those that can be loosened or tightened. Try backing the trailer in the desired spot then chock the trailer wheels. Then pull up slightly to take the pressure off that actuator. See if that works if you haven't tried that already.
wetneck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 10:35pm

it is just like yours E.T.S.
think i finally understand how it works, with a lotta lube too...
freed up the release pin on starboard side also

that IS the prob tho... you need to chock wheels and move vehicle... so much more work than the traditional tongued trailer, my 25' ocean boat unloads SO much easier

thanks for the replies and suggestions !
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 10:38pm
Once you get it loosened up it should work fine. Just remember to give the trailer a tug forward before trying to uncouple it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic