Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Spark

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
'72 mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '72 mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Spark
    Posted: September-28-2005 at 8:42pm
I have 351W and when I had it out last it sputtered out and would not restart. I got it to start up once in my driveway but after that nothing. It is getting fuel but no spark. I have electronic ignition, new plugs, wires, and coil. Still won't start. No spark at #1 and nothing out of the coil. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
72 CC mustang
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2005 at 10:11pm
Well first you need to check voltage at the coil and make sure you have voltage going to it. Then there are several things you will need to check. First do the easy stuff, check the rotor and cap and make sure noting looks odd like the tip of the rotor fell off or is burned up, check for burn marks or arching in the cap it's self, check the contact point between the rotor and cap (center) and also make sure that the coil wire is completely seated in the cap and coil both. Also inspect the coil wire it's self and see if it's been arching or there's a cut in it, try another coil wire if you have an extra one laying around. Another test you can do is disconnect the coil wire at the cap and see if you have spark there, if so then it's in the dist. if not then you have a bad coil, ballast resistor, or you have lost voltage to the coil and need to trace the wiring back until you find voltage.

Now if you have spark at the coil then you have a bad, cap, rotor or module. If the dist is a coulple of years old odds are you have a bad module.

A couple of other question's it sounds like you just tuned up the motor since everything is new was it running fine after installing the wires' plugs and so forth? if so and it kinda went dead all at once or fairly quickly then I would say the module is the problem. Now if the problem started after you put on the new parts you need to check and make sure you didn't reverse the leads on the coil and that all of the spark plug wires are seated, push on the wire it's self and not the boot, make sure you feel the termnals ingage or snap togehter. Hopes this gives you some insight on tracking down the problem and keep us posted on your progress.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2005 at 12:11pm
My first thought was ballast resistor...then I read further and you have electronic ignition. Do you still have the resistor or did you remove it? Some electronic ignitions need the resistor.

Coils usually degrade and give problems once warmed up, but can simply die.

Otherwise, I suspect the module. 79Nautique give good troubleshooting advice. Check those wires.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2005 at 1:06pm
In addition to already smart advice, to see if the module is dead or alive, place a test light on the primary side of the coil and see if it flashes when cranking.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '72 mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2005 at 5:15pm
Hey thanks alot for all the good info. My internet was disconnected ysterday so I couldn't reply until now. I am going to check out all the leads you guys gave me. I will let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again.
72 CC mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '72 mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2005 at 2:13pm
Well after a long hard ordeal I finally got my boat running. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, I couldn't have done it without you. I put a new ignition module in and it fired right up. Thanks again.
72 CC mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic