Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Nautique Mechanical Refurbishment

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 1:30pm
Yes, I have an engine hoist, having not done it, seems daunting. I suppose the more skillful part is reassembling the watch. Your tip on the chain length, clearance are the type of things I was looking for, pitfalls to avoid, thanks.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 2:46pm
ya may want to measure a bit and run the hoist up all the way and see what kind of clearance you have. You could always remove the oil pan to gain some clearance. That would be a last resort though. Watch the valve covers too, the chain will want to bind against them and you wouldnt want to crush them so if you use the lifting rings that are on the heads you cant make that chain too short. Just dont get in a hurry.

Also on mine the drive coupler was really froze on. After I removed the four bolts, I worked a putty knife inbetween and pushed forward on the engine and it came free.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 2:48pm
It took about an hour from start to finish to get it on the engine stand. The engine was out in 20 minutes took more time to get it adjusted so it would sit on the stand. Really pretty simple.

Also obviously you will have to unhook the fuel line from the pump, plug a socket extension or big screw driver in the hose so gas doesnt pour everywhere. I think thats everything I can think of.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 5:24pm
Probably try it in about 10 days, then tranny to Medina to visit Eric's FF hospital, and engine to be worked on locally. Thanks a lot Justin, how is your project?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 5:39pm
well its coming along, I will probably get to work on it more this weekend. I am just about done grinding, which will be nice, Im tired of the dust and itching. I also have most of the wood fabricated so hopefully things will start going quicker.

I havent touched the engine yet, just sitting on the stand. Hope no surprises lurk therein, like a rebuild. Yuck.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 6:30pm
Doc,
where you at in OH?
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 7:05pm
New Albany, a northeast suburb of Columbus, boat to spend its time in Michigan.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 7:07pm
ya I know New Albany,I used to live in dublin, so very familiar with Cbus. Well too bad you arent closer to canton, I would offer to lend a hand.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 7:11pm
Thanks for the advice, and offer to help, your post replies are a help.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2012 at 11:38pm
Nice day here, used onand off, and 3m rubbing compound and an orbital polisher to clean up my gel coat. Looks a lot better, thanks to all the CCF posters about how to do this.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 2:26am
Originally posted by DrStevens DrStevens wrote:

Yes, I have an engine hoist, having not done it, seems daunting. I suppose the more skillful part is reassembling the watch. Your tip on the chain length, clearance are the type of things I was looking for, pitfalls to avoid, thanks.

A few things that may help are removing the near exhaust manifold and setting your boom hook short but still long enough to swing. Pulling the carb may allow a shorter lift chain and it's delicate. Another delicate may be the distributer.

I haven't lifted a 351 in a long time so some or all of this may be off. Just try to think ahead a few steps and realize that most things will lose against a chain with an engine hanging on it.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 9:55am
Thanks Greg, nice photos, post some of you 79 pics when available please.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 10:13am
Welcome and thanks Doc. Here's the 79:

1988 BFN-sold

DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 10:29pm
Gary, have never seen one that color, the "Brown Pearl". Is that an original color? Thanks
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 10:30pm
Sorry Greg, my mistake
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 11:30pm
The carpet and upholstry were original I think and I know the skirt on the trailer was. The brown hull was paint and there was reddish bottom paint under that on the low side. I hadn't gotten to fixing the paint when the BFN came up so I can't swear to the gel color on the hull.

One note I should have included with that engine pic...it was all pre-CCFan. Thanks guys, I know better now.
1988 BFN-sold

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 11:42am
Also doc, remember with tranny on she will be A** heavy, I found that positioning the hoist right over the back bowl on the carb was a fairly well balanced spot to lift from. I agree on removing the carb, its easy to pop off and just better to have it out of the way. If you drain the oil first, if you really got into a bind you could pop the oil pan off and that could give you the extra clearance you need.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2012 at 9:34pm
Any suggestions for removing old decals, the correct craft since 1925, flag? They are worn out but still stuck to the boat well, I don't want to dig holes in the gel getting them off.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2012 at 10:57pm
Heat gun and your fingernails,,, Be careful though as one can burn their fingers.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2012 at 11:06pm
I used a heat gun and a plastic putty knife like you use for body filler. Any remaining glue can be removed with a rag soaked in rubbing alcohol
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2012 at 8:30pm
Just dropped off my boat with mr Eric la vine today, planning on having him upgrade my boat.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 11:49am
good choice!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic