Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New old boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New old boat
    Posted: August-31-2005 at 1:00am
I am getting "A classic 1979 Correct Craft southwind 20 waterski boat" and am really excited about it. It has not seen the water in 5 years. I am not new to boats but am new to inboards. I am not familiar with the shaft seals and the transmission. Could someone give me some tips on how to reintroduce this boat to the water to cause the least amount of damage? I know I will replace the impeller for the freshwater pump but should I just replace the shaft seals before I even think about putting it in the water? Should I be concerned about anything else? It has been in a winterized state for the time. Thanks in advance
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2005 at 12:36pm
The shaft seals are wax impregnated and should suffer no ill effects from being unused over time.

Definately change the engine and transmission oil. The transmission uses Dextron III transmission fluid. Suck it all out, replace. Then use the boat for a day max, then change the tranny oil again and then once again. You need to change it at least three times to get most of the old (now mixed with new) out. Then change it once annually (I personally go two years between tranny oil changes...you be the judge).

Before you put it in the water for the first time, make sure the bilge pump works. Make sure all below water line hoses are in good shape and the clamps are tight.

You might want to lightly fog the cylinders before cranking the engine for the first time. Remove plugs, fog cylinders and then spin engine with plugs removed to avoid "hydro" locking the engine due to too much oil in the cylinders.

Sand the points clean and fire it up. Check for fuel leaks and other problems, then have fun.
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2005 at 12:38am
Great tips thanks! I will leave the seal alone. I will do some surfing to figure out how to drain the tranny. How much does it hold? I was going to check the plugs so I will spray the cylinders while I am there. It shows to have 270 hours on the clock. It looks and feels good so far. I think I shall take Friday off to get this bad boy ready to go. It has the pcm engine so I presume it is a 260 hp 351 ford? How fast to these guys go? If it wasnt dark here I would be out playing with it!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2005 at 1:49am
Pswann,
I just bought a '74 Mustang 17 that has been in storage for six years. I am bringing it home tomorrow and will be going through the same exercise as you. Please post anything you figure out along the way as it will help me as I try to start my boat again for the first time since '99.

Thanks,
Dave
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2005 at 1:54am
Hey guys. Post your pics!!!!!
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2005 at 12:41am
I had a hoot of a time when I started the engine for the first time. Fuel leaked out of the manifold on the drivers side and immediatly ignited. There I am blowing out the fire like a birthday cake! Turns out that both manifold gaskets were gone and many bolts had been broken off. I was stressed! But after I used a torch, air chisel and other tools I removed both manifolds and the broken bolts came out by hand! The engine side looks great, only one of the manifolds had a crack. I ordered one off ebay for 139 plus 30 shipping and 2 sets of gaskets for 9 bucks each. I bought SS bolts for the manifolds and risers for 27 dollars (thought that was expensive) but I have anti seize compound and I am ready to put it all back together. I am very excited. I need to figure out how to post pics and I will. The counter clockwise motor is strange to look at, I have never seen that before.
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2005 at 11:52am
Dave, How did you come out? I mounted the manifolds yesterday and as soon as I can get out of the office I will try to start it up again and if that goes well then I will drop it in lake Travis and see if the tranny works. That is my biggest concern at this time. I have boating on my mind!

I put stainless steel bolts on the risers and then saw that the paper with the manifold said dont use stainless. Im sure they will work for the short term but what are the opinions on stainless on risers? Anyone using stainless on theirs?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic