Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Floor Repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor Repair
    Posted: August-12-2005 at 12:53am
I am getting ready to start my winter project on my '74 Southwind 20. I will be repairing the seats and interior. While the seats are out i plan on doing some floor repairs. The attach point for the engine cover has been repaired once. It is a shoddy job. i plan to do something much better.

What I am looking for is advice. The floor forward of the engine cover seems solid. The only weak spot is behind the engine cover.

Should I:

1. Rework the entire floor
2. Repair just the damaged areas.
3. All the above and fill in the screw holes
   from the seats

Any input would be helpful as this is my first project. Future projects include: repainting the engine, replacing the throttle with a new Morse control, refinish the wooden boarding ladder steps and instrument panels, replacing the instruments.
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2005 at 2:09am
When I replaced my floor (last year)I did the whole floor. It was the original floor and I unscrewed each section...then traced a pattern from the one I pulled out(including screw holes)...the new sections went back just fine!
Good time to check the condition of the stringers too.
Before the new marine grade plywood went back in...I sealed both sides with marine varnish and screwed it back in with new stainless screws...some guys will glass the floor!

Good luck!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2005 at 12:19pm
FWIW: easy way to patch/fill screw holes is to take open celled foam rubber, soak a small piece in epoxy resin, then push the soaked foam into the screw hole with a small screw driver or other any other pointed type object. After the epoxy cures, grind the protruding foam off flush with the surface.

On the bottom side, the foam will have expanded past the hole and essentially lock the plug in place. You can put the screw back in the same place and it will hold strong.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic