Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gelcoat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gelcoat
    Posted: August-09-2005 at 6:47pm
I wet sanded my boat sides and still have some oxidation. I am wondering if I should use that Poli Glo stuff or clearcoat my gelcoat. Does clearcoat turn the oxidation back to the original color?
Anyone try clear coat?

Thanks
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2005 at 1:22am
Nate,
Not knowing your entire process of wet sanding, but after sanding did you hit it with the heavy compound to bring the shine come back and still see oxidation? The reason I ask is that it's hard to see any real shine thru oxd'n. I've had some really oxidized and faded gelcoats and while I may not have been able to remove all the deepest haze down in the pigment, I could still remove the oxidation and come out with a good shine. The wet sanding process can normally take me several initial cycles of sand and buff to make sure I'm only taking it down as far as I need to in order to remove the dead stuff. On some really weathered finishes I've gone scarily (sp) deep to find good gelcoat. On an old yellow 71 Nautique (see diaries) we went way deep and while we could get it to shine great, the color fade (not oxidation) had gone all the way thru the gelcoat, so we've chosen to paint.

As for the clearcoat, it'll probably make your oxidation shine, but I don't know how it'll really look and may show the splotchy oxidized areas thru the clearcoat. Anyone else?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2005 at 4:12am
I had that discussion with a guy I know who is a auto body man and paints autos...he also sprays on gel finishes and does fiberglass repair...builds his own boats too...molds and all! He knows his stuff! wealth of info!!!
I asked about clear coat...he tells me it can look very good...but like ReidP says...makes the oxidation shine!A way to get an idea how it would look , is simply wet an area with a polish and that is how it will look...better usually.
If you are going to clear coat it , you might as well paint instead!
If you know someone who will spray gelcoat, you can get good matches to the original finish...a bit higher cost though.

stang72
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2005 at 4:24am
Now if you want to see a shiney rascal of a boat,see the 1972 lime green mustang in the diary section...no fade!!!
Thats how I bought it...must have seen a lot of time in the garage.
The side had some oxidation, but with compound and a high speed buffer,it's color has come back well!
Good luck!

stang72 (owner of a mean green whirlybird machine)
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic