Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loose windsheild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
74mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loose windsheild
    Posted: July-26-2005 at 2:25am
I have a 74 mustang, that has a loose winsheild problem from all the wave action in the past years. The screws are starting to rust out and the seal is breaking loose so water is coming through where it sits on the fiberglass. Does anyone know any tricks of the trade other than taking the whole windsheild off? Thanks.

jason
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 12:12pm
Windsheild is probably held in place with T-bolts that will indeed rust. Only way to replace the bolts is to remove the entire windshield.
74mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 12:15pm
yeah, i was afraid of going that far, is there a certain product that you might recomend to seal it? Thanks
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 12:39pm
Absolutely! Go to Home Depot (or equivalent) and look in the door/window weatherstriping section. You should find a foam rubber weatherstriping that is about 1/4" thick and about 1" wide that has adhesive on one side. It comes in large rolls (more than enough for one roll to do the entire windshield).

Simply stick the weatherstripping onto the bottom of the windshield (bolts poked through in proper location) and set the windshield in place and bolt her down. The weatherstrip compresses fully to make a water tight seal that will last for at least 15 years or more. I did my '77 in '89 and it is still perfect.

If the weatherstripping is a bit wide for your windshield frame, then simply trim off the excess with a razor blade AFTER you tighten down the windshield. Go gently with the blade so as not to score the gelcoat underneath.
74mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 12:52pm
thanks, sounds good. do you recommend stainless steel bolts, and if so do you have a place where i might find them?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 12:58pm
Yes, always SS bolts/screws. I purchased the bolts from CC, but others have found them elsewhere. With that said, I am not sure the bolts as purchased through CC are SS.
74mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 1:00pm
its greatly appreciated
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2005 at 5:38pm
My windshield was loose and I found that several of the nuts had fallen off. The studs were rather rusty, but the correct die cleaned up the threads so that I could install the new nuts and washers. I never had to remove the windshield.
1975 Ski Nautique
"Small Letter Boat"
OldFart View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldFart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2005 at 2:35am
Some have thru-bolted the w/shield in a 3or4 places, just watch out for wires under the dash/gunnel. OF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic