NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loud Lifter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loud Lifter
    Posted: July-20-2005 at 4:55am
I have a loud lifter. Does it need to be fixed? How do you fix it? I don't believe in additives.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2005 at 10:48am
If it's truly a bad lifter then the lifter can be replaced. If the lifter is loud because the valvetrain is worn to the point where the lifter can not adjust the lash then you'll need to replace the other worn components. With an automotive stethoscope (~$10 at your local parts store) you should be able to isolate the noise to at least a cylinder if not a particular valve.

A bad lifter is a common misdiagnosis for anything in an engine that ticks. When I bought my '79 I thought it had a bad lifter and the noise turned out to be piston slap due to scored cylinders.
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2005 at 12:49pm
Maybe your right... I assumed that the loud tick was a lifter. Should I worry about it?
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2005 at 1:00pm
FWIW, When I bought my '78, it had a noisy lifter. The previous owner said it had been noisy for 4 or 5 years. I replaced all 16 lifters and it has been quiet for three seasons (around 300 hours).

In answer to your first question, I don't think it will cause any problems to leave the noisy lifter alone. It will just sound bad. The racers will tell you "a loose valve is a happy valve".
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2005 at 2:32pm
Piston slaps and bad lifters sound VERY similar, but their is a difference in the sound. The piston slap will go away or sound different when put under load, the lifter is not really effected. Ususally, a bad lifter will tap more when cold and less when hot (at least at first).
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic